Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Memories of A Christmas Past

I've been in Virginia since the day before Thanksgiving, spending time with my son and his family and with my daughter, Sarah.  I've spent some time looking at toys and ideas for Christmas presents for the Bella.  One day when I was in T*rget, I was looking at the bicycles, and my eyes were drawn to this one, and my mind went back to the Christmas of 1949...yes, 1949. 

I was eight.  Santa Claus was still very real to me.  My list for him was long.  On that list was a bicycle and a bride doll and...and...and.  I don't remember what all I had wanted, but Santa did his best to get me what I wanted.

Christmas morning came, and under the tree was a 26 inch Schwinn bike.  My first and only bicycle.  And it was a deluxe edition, a little more deluxe than the one in the photo above.  It had a horn that was battery operated, and it was enclosed on the bike below the handlebars and the seat.  All I had to do was push the button, and the horn sounded.  I don't know if there was a basket on it that morning, but there soon was, and in later years some streamers flowing from the grips on the handlebars.

What surprised me about the bike in the photo above is that there are no hand brakes.  It has coaster brakes, just like mine did 63 years ago. 

There were no training wheels back then.  I just got on and tried and tried until I could ride the bicycle.  The street in the front of our house was like a brick street, but the bricks were not smooth, and I had many scrapes and bruises from the falls that I took as I learned to ride...no knee pads or helmets back then either.

When I looked at the bike in the store, I noticed that it is a "Legacy" bike, made by Schwinn.  With so many brands that have come and gone in the last years, I'm glad there is still a Schwinn bike.

I cherish the memories of that bike.  Unlike so many children today, it was the only bike I ever had or needed.  These days, I find I need and want less and less. I know my parents were so relieved when I realized that they were the Santa, and they could breathe a little more easily. 

I wish to you all a merry Christmas.  May His presence in your life be your present.

11 comments:

KGMom said...

You have hit upon something many of us can identify with--memories of our first (and for some only) bike.
Sweet memories.
Merry Christmas to you & all you love.

kenju said...

I remember so fondly my first two wheeler; a Schwinn much like the one in your pic. I was so proud of it!!

Enjoy your family, Beverly, and have a wonderful Christmas.

Fred Alton said...

That bike reminds me so much of one I think my first cousin (Arvis Jones) had about the same time. My memory may be of someone else's bike - but I can see her on it, trying to ride it in the sand-bed roads around Lacoochee. Riding on a brick road, means you didn't get that bike in Lacoochee ... right? Smiles.

podso said...

Love this, Bev! And have a great time up in VA. Merry Christmas!

kc bob said...

I remember getting a bike with coaster brakes for Christmas. Never got a new one though - always got used bikes.

Hope your Christmas is very merry!

Beverly said...

I wish I still had my green bike from Se*rs......I do not like hand brake....throws my balance off!!!

Joy Des Jardins said...

This post brought back memories of my old blue Schwinn...I loved that bike. Merry, Merry Christmas sweet friend. Enjoy every minute with your beautiful family. ~Joy xo

Shammickite said...

My only bike was bought for 10/- (that's ten shillings) and was second hand, maybe even third or fourth hand. I lived at the top of a hill so I pushed the bike to the top and then freewheeled to the bottom, again and again!
I've been a very naughty blogger just recently, what with my internet going horribly wrong and then as soon as it was fixed, the Christmas Variety Show kept me busy and now all the Christmas prep.... however I promise to be better in the future. So Have a Happy Christmas and all the best for 2013!

Granny Annie said...

I too received my first bike for Christmas. I was eight years old and I must have learned to ride my sister or my brother's bike because I just remember getting on it and going. To add to the joy of that Christmas I also received a cocker spaniel pup. Yes it was my best Christmas memory ever!

Thanks for causing me to recall such a joyous time. Merry Christmas Beverly!

Wendy said...

Lovely memories. I remember my first bike too. It was my brother's old one and my Dad had taken a metal saw and sawn the cross bar off to make it into a girl's bike. I was so proud of it!

Have a wonderful Christmas with your family, Bev.

JeanMac said...

great post I remember Dad helping me ride and when I discovered He was no longer holding on and I was riding on my own, I got annoyed with him 6years old Happy New year J