Three years ago, when I first met them, they showed me San Francisco and Lake Tahoe. It was a wonderful week of seeing things I had only read about or seen pictures of. This time the trip was much more low key. When my friends moved to the Sacramento area, they bought a home that had several fruit trees in the back yard, one of which was a pomegranate tree. The only other time I had seen such a tree was in my grandpa's back yard in north Florida. I remember eating the fruit and liking it very much. I came home with some of them in my suitcase.
On Sunday afternoon we visited the Otow Orchard, where we saw lots of persimmon trees. Again, I knew of persimmons, mainly my mother having said that if you ate one before it was ripe, it would make your mouth pucker. I remember one time being in line at the grocery store, and someone had one with his groceries. He must not have known what it was, and the cashier didn't know either. They asked me if I knew what it was, and I said I think it is a persimmon. The cashier looked up the code for it, and it went through, so I guess I was right. I will write more about this orchard in another blog post, because there is so much to tell about these fine folks. Be sure to click the link and read about their farm.
5 comments:
We did had a good time, didn't we?
Love your photos and can't wait to read all about the trip from your perspective.
With Love,
Your Axe-Murderer Friend.
Beverly, you are one of my "axe-murderer friends....LOL
I am glad you got to go and have a good time - looking forward to reading more.
your friend on the bale of hay with you is one i would love to meet... you made a great choice to visit them the first time. i have bitten into a persimmon and it not only puckers it dries the mouth like cotton. we had a tree in Savannah and the fruit was thrown away..
Many decades ago I had "pen pals" remember that? Well they were all over the country. I traveled many places to visit them and it was wonderful. I still have two who I am still in contact me. Over 3 decades later -- amazes me how fast time flies. Those who have not experienced knowing people through the internet don't understand that our virtual friends become our true friends too. Glad you had such a great trip to CA.
what fun! what's not to like... travel, California and good friends. So glad you enjoyed your trip.
Post a Comment