Over the last year, I pondered making a move to Virginia to be near my children. All my life, except for college years and ten years after that, were spent in Florida. I'm one of those rare Florida natives that one runs into occasionally, and I've always been very proud of that fact. I love looking at sites, like Old Florida on Facebo*k and seeing photos of cracker houses and sugar cane mills that remind me so much of my grandparents' home in north Florida.
Whenever I'm out with friends, I invariably run into someone I've known, either from high school, from church, from work, from Sweet Adelines. I've always loved that...that feeling of familiarity with everything around me.
Well, at my ripe old age, I've moved from Florida to Virginia, to the Shenandoah Valley, to new surroundings, where I will find I have to find my new normal. I've been coming to Virginia for the last eight years, spending lots of time here with my granddaughter and my son. Five years ago, my daughter moved here so that she could be closer to Ella and David. The only time she would see Ella was when they might come to Florida, and she said to me, "Mom, I want to see Ella grow up." So she moved.
So I've moved. They are the only family I have. I've bought a home here, and I am in the middle of boxes being unpacked and things put away. I'm waiting for the delivery of bedroom furniture tomorrow...hopefully, but it is supposed to snow, so I don't imagine it will make it tomorrow. It will be over a week before I get internet and TV, so I'm spending time during the day at David's using his internet. It's amazing how unnecessary TV becomes when you don't have it.
I hope to blog more. I'm looking forward to a trip out west in May, and then I hope to get really settled in and get to know this area more.
So...while they're singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" in Florida, folks here are singing "Let it Snow" or, maybe I should say, "Snow, Snow, Go Away. Come again another day."
10 comments:
I hope that you get settled quickly and will soon feel at home there. It is a beautiful area of the country.
I think this is just so wonderful!! Way to go! :)
what a tremendous change this has to be but you will be so happy with your family close. we all know how you enjoy Ella.
Welcome home
It may be an adjustment but I think you will be glad you made the move. You will make the most of your new home. Your old town just won't be the same without you though.
Hope your furniture makes it quickly and you can get settled in your new "normal".
I'm looking forward to seeing you in May.
Blessings to you Beverly as you settle in to the new normal.
Here's to your adjustment and happiness in a brand new place. Will you share pics?
Happy unpacking, Bev!
I think you'll quickly make new friends through church. And, UVA has wonderful programs that the public is welcome to enjoy and mingle with people of like interests. If you hang around Panera at that wonderful outdoor shopping center (can't remember the name), you'll probably run into Sissy Spacek (I did awhile back) and Jan Karon. Tell them hello for me.
Best,
Bonnie
Post a Comment