Monday, March 16, 2015

It's a Small World, After All

It's a small world, after all.  No, I haven't been to Disney, but I'll bet you'll be humming that song all day.  I've been in Virginia for two weeks now.  When I arrived, it was very, very cold...at least very cold for this Floridian.  Snow was on the ground, and there was more to follow.  Temperatures hovered around zero for a couple of nights, but two weeks later, spring is definitely in the air.  Right now at 11:30, it's 62 with a high expected of 72 today.  It isn't going to stay quite that way all week, but it's getting there.  Crocuses are popping up .around the city  I understand they are the first flowers of spring.  At least, they are the first I have seen.

My daughter, Sarah, has been helping me get settled in by unpacking boxes and moving some things to the basement that I won't be using for a while.  She has broken down boxes to make them easier to take to the recycling center.  I hope I can find someone who might need them before I take them.  David has been a great help too.  He did all the legwork in my buying this house.  In fact, he found it for me.  It is a perfect fit.  I really like being on one level, but this means I have to do more exercising since I don't have stairs to contend with.

I was at a dinner the other night at David's church, and I sat at a table with a couple who have ties with Haiti.  As we were talking, the gentleman said that his wife's parents had been missionaries in Trinidad, so I asked him if they knew one of the missionaries who had been with the board I was with.  It turns out that the ladies were best friends.

This morning I had occasion to go to the post office, and when the clerk saw the package I was mailing, she said, "Oh, I used to live there."   She graduated from Riverview High School in Sarasota, was in the band, and later lived in Bradenton.

There is another couple here in Waynesboro whose daughter graduated from BCS with my son.  I found out about that when I mentioned Waynesboro to a friend at home before I moved.  He said, "Oh, I'm going to be going there for a family reunion next summer.  My brother and his wife moved there to be near the grandkids."

So, it is a small world, isn't it.

5 comments:

Peg Windmiller said...

That's so cool! We found that in Maggie - standing in the post office around Christmas and met four people who still lived or have lived in Bradenton and Orlando! God has a way of giving us a little bit of home when we need it!

photowannabe said...

It shows how gracious the Lord is in bringing people into your life. Moving and getting new friends can be difficult but it looks like you are blooming where you are planted.
Love you and hope Spring keeps on blossoming all around you.
Sue

kenju said...

I suspect you will continue to find people who have ties to FL. Good for you - it helps to make you feel more at home, and sooner.

podso said...

Those are nice little nods to your past … just there to make you feel even more at home!

How fun to have a basement!

Granny Annie said...

There is a historic home in Waynesboro called THE HOOVER HOUSE and it is the past residence of my great aunt and her parents. Her name was Elenore Hoover and her parents were Ira and Ella. Since her death it has been turned into a restaurant that I believe is now closed. She was celebrated as our "Rich Aunt". Any chance you know of it?