Last night there was an evening sing at one of the local Mennonite churches. Several churches gathered together to sing and to listen to groups from the different churches. One of my early memories of Mennonites was that they used no instruments in their churches, and all the singing was a capella. In some churches, that may still be the case, but last evening there were lots of instruments.
Bluegrass music is popular here. I don't know if it is because of the part of the country we are in, or just what the reason, but it is popular. One family sang and accompanied themselves on banjos, guitars, bass fiddles, and I believe I saw a mandolin.
Since it was Palm Sunday, a lot of the music centered around the resurrection. The group above sang "Were you there when they crucified my Lord?"
The group from our church sang an Easter canon and a number about the price He paid on the cross.
We did do some a capella singing. At a couple of spots a lady came up with her pitch pipe and led in a couple of songs. I think that was my favorite part. When she introduced one of the songs, she said that it was one that "we had all learned in school." When she blew the pitch, you could hear all the parts coming on right on pitch, and then it started. I loved it! I love it at church when the accompaniment drops out and all you hear are the voices.I looked for it on the internet, and I found a video of it being sung by a men's chorus in India. You have to listen hard to hear all the words, but you certainly can hear all the parts. I'll be singing it in my head for a while, and I hope our church sings it so that I can learn it better. Click on the link to watch and listen.
The photos used in this blog were used with permission of Ginny from Let Your Light Shine.





6 comments:
Congregational singing in four part harmony...my favorite kind of church music. And those Mennonites can sing!
Yes, you found the song! You chose the right pictures to show just what you were saying. It was a good evening. And you made it even better!
So a blog friend must go to your church? that's pretty cool. I'm so glad you enjoyed the evening--it sounded wonderful…love a cappella. We too had music, from across the ages.
I have never heard of an all-night gospel sing. Must be interesting and joyful.
Gee I thought I made a comment already. I can imagine how wonderful the singing was. And you have a blog friend at your church? !
I remember doing the "Sings" in our Baptist church many years ago.
Lots of fun and it definitely imprints the words in my heart and mind.
Oh how I love men's 4 part harmony. Its so rich and full.
Thanks for sharing the link. Loved it.
Post a Comment