I spent the last two weeks in Florida. I had planned to go to attend Women of Faith with my good friend, Peg. I left on the Sunday before Labor Day on the auto-train. Arriving in Bradenton, I spent a few days with my father-in-law and a few more days with Mary Jane, a friend whose sons I taught in Haiti. And then I spent a couple of nights with my friends, Don and Elsie. I got to see a lot of people, got the last bit of stuff out of storage, and then I went to Orlando and went to Women of Faith to attend their farewell tour. It was a busy two weeks, and while I loved being there, I was glad to come back home.
When I made to decision to move finally from Florida to Virginia, there was no looking back, and I have not regretted at all the move. I have a lovely home. I've found a warm, loving church, and I'm getting to know some of the locals, as well as a lovely lady down the street who has moved here to be nearer her grandchildren. I've had a young woman staying with me since the middle of August. She is here, interning in our church for a year and working in the community. We've had a good time together. I've been "living history" to her...since she's so young, and I'm older. I will not say "elderly."
The air is beginning to be crisp. I had to close the back door this afternoon because the air coming in was a bit cool. I posted a photo of a tree beginning to turn yesterday, and someone said, "You know what follows fall, don't you."
Anyway, back to today. I went over to Chick-Fil-A this morning for breakfast, and I saw a poster advertising a senior trip to Sight and Sound for the Christmas program. I had called a travel agent about a similar trip, and it was all sold out, so I was thrilled to see this and make a reservation to go. Later, I had a doctor's appointment with an endocrinologist, and I mentioned to her that I had not had my A1C checked since January, and she said that they could do it right there in the office. It was the lowest that it had been for a while. That made me SO happy. The doctor said, "If we could only see more of those..."
While I was there, David called to see if I could pick Ella up after school and take her to get her glasses adjusted. Of course, he didn't have to ask twice. I love being close by and being able to help out whenever needed, or just to be with her. After going to the optician, I took her with me while I had some blood drawn. While there, a nurse who had worked in her school clinic came into the cubicle and saw Ella. She was so happy to see her again. We mentioned a little boy who accompanied Ella to the clinic to get her meds before lunch, and the nurse said, "When you see H., give him a hug for me." Ella said, "Well, now, that would be awkward." So then the nurse said, "Well, tell him hello for me."
After David and Ella left, I went to Ruby Tuesday to get my birthday hamburger, and the server said to me, "You're a teacher, aren't you. Did you get your air fixed?" It must have been three months since I had seen her. I told her how much it meant to me to be recognized by someone here. Those of you who know me well know what I mean by that. Coming from a town where I lived all my life and knowing so many people to a place where I know so few, her comment to me meant so much.
All the little things that happened today were big things for me. I know every day won't be like this one, but I'll welcome them.
7 comments:
I am happy to know that you don't regret moving and that you're settling in well there. Kiss Ella for me (if that's not "awkward!" LOL
This makes my heart sing Beverly.
The No Looking Back part and saying you were happy to be Home are the best.
You have had a crazy, fun filled 2 weeks. I think we must be taking the same "busy" pills.
I think it's great that you can pick up Ella and be with her in the every-day-ness of life. Such tender memories.
Yay for the med report..A++++
New friends and feeling like you belong...God is so good.
I like the idea of you helping out the intern with your home. She's lucky to live with a History Maker (:0)
Happy you are doing more traveling too. Tell me more about that. It sounds fun.
That's probably the time we will be doing our anniversary tradition at Disneyland...before we help with the many Christmas services serving dinner to the volunteers.
Tomorrow we finally get our smog test and car oil changed That kind of shoots the morning and then Dave and I are serving and setting up dinner for Celebrate Recovery. Debi has another job at the same time so we step in and help.
It seems there is never a dull moment.
Love you and hope we can catch up in a few days.
So glad you posted this.
Love ya
Sue
I am so glad things are going well and you are settling in to your new life and place. May God continue to bless you!
So glad you're so happy Beverly. It's so good that you are close by to both son and daughter and your sweet Ella. They grow so fast and it's wonderful that you are there for yourself and also for your family who I know is so happy that you are.
Lois and I just read this together as I am in Bton. Just missed you I hear!!! I loved reading about this day in your life and I understand it completely. Miss seeing you here tho!
Its very stressful to make a big move like you have, as you never really know if it will all work out as planned, but you seem to have survived it and are making a lovely home in your new surroundings. hooray! And so nice to be able to share your granddaughter's growing up experiences. hooray again!
What an absolutely fabulous day! So glad things are working out for you so well. I know the feeling of helping out with the grands - just makes my heart sing!
It was a big move for you and happily it was the right one. For me, I moved back to my old home. Just could not live anywhere else.
Hugs
Post a Comment