Monday, February 11, 2019

Florida in February

I don't want to call myself a "snowbird" since I am a native Floridian, but I guess in reality I have become one.  I can certainly understand why people flee the frozen north for the wonderful winter weather in Florida.  Blue skies, gentle breezes, and mild temperatures are great.  The beginning of spring training season is in the air.  Games will be beginning on the 23rd of the month. 

I have been enjoying seeing old friends and making some new ones.  I have been attending the church that I attended from the time I was four.  There have been lots of changes  over the years, but one thing has remained constant.  The church is very mission minded for fields overseas and right in the neighborhood.  A young pastor has taken the reins, and he is loved by all.

Today after I took all my tax stuff to my accountant, I drove out to DeSoto Memorial and walked around.  I wandered over to where a couple was seated, and the gentleman struck up a conversation.  They invited me to sit down on the bench with them.  As we talked, he told me that he had moved to Bradenton in 1980 and had a cabinet business.  He then went on to say that he was a one-man business.  I started asking him if he knew certain people.  He did.  Then I asked him if he knew Don Whitcomb.  Don was a one-man business, as well.  He did, indeed, know Don.  We spent quite a bit of time talking about different customers that they both had had over the years.  I must say that made my day.





No comments: