Monday, February 13, 2006

Happy Valentines Day



Happy Valentine’s Day! My friend over at Melange asked people to write about someone in their lives who loves you unconditionally. My husband, Don, was one of those people. We had a whirlwind romance…I had been teaching missionary kids in Haiti. He had been in Vietnam, and when he got discharged from the Air Force, went to work for a small airline in New York. That airline went belly-up, and some of his parents’ friends said to him, “Why don’t you go to Florida? You can live in our mobile home and look for work there.

He came to Florida in 1970, went to work for Tropicana in the feed mill and eventually learned the electrical trade. He became a member of the church that I was from, and when I came home during the summers to visit my mother, I noticed this tall man who had become active in the church. I can home from Haiti in 1972 to visit churches and friends who had supported me and to go to Europe to study French for three months.

Just before I left for Europe on the day after Christmas 1972, we talked a little bit. We both had sung in the Christmas cantata. I sent him a postcard from England, and then we began corresponding during the three months that I was in Europe. To make a long story short, I came home from Europe April 12, and we got married May 12. Yes, you can put a wedding together in less than a month.

We missed celebrating our 29th anniversary by two weeks. On April 30, 2002, my valentine was killed in an accident. He was in his big work truck. (I had often prayed that he would not become preoccupied with his next job and hurt someone else.) On his way to a job, an elderly driver made a left turn in front of him. He did his best to avoid hitting her, his truck overturned, and he was in the presence of the Lord.

Four years later, it still hurts. It is easy to say with the mouth that God makes no mistakes…God is good all the time. And I know that is true…He is the great I AM, and He knows my hurts.

For you who have that dear one, hold them close and don’t fail to tell them that you love them and appreciate them. I never dreamed that morning when he left for work that I’d never see him again. Thanks for listening to my heart.

9 comments:

srp said...

It will always hurt here on earth; some days less, some days more. But God will always hold you in His hands with His arms tight around you and you have the assurance of knowing you will be with your beloved again in heaven. Until then, what a lovely Valentine memory to share.

Beverly said...

Thanks so much.

AC said...

This is a beautiful Valentine. And I appreciate what you counsel.

Unknown said...

a lovely story. thanks for sharing, Beverly

Anonymous said...

Mom, I know how much my heart hurts because dad isn't here and I know your ache is more than mine. I miss him so much. I love you so much.

Anonymous said...

What beautiful love the two of you shared. It touched my heart so deeply.

David Whitcomb said...

weeping...

Mesha Provo said...

Your life has true meaning. I appreciate your story about the love of your life. It touched me.
Thanks

Anonymous said...

Beverly, I am so very sorry for your loss. Don sounds like a wonderful man. I understand how you must miss him so.
((hugs))