Monday, March 06, 2006

Buy Me Some Peanuts and Crackerjacks

March is the month of spring training in Florida (and Arizona.) Here in Florida it's known as the Grapefruit League. In February, pitchers and catchers come to the state and start their practice, and then during March, the teams practice playing. All of the hopefuls who are invited have high numbers on their uniforms.

Today at the Pirates/Twins game, I only recognized three or four names. The Pirates won, by the way. I believe they've only lost one game so far, but then they've only played since March 1. The Tampa Bay Devil Rays are on a roll. They've even won four games (I think.) As I'm writing this and looking for some stats, I see that Kirby Puckett has died after suffering a stroke yesterday.

Spring training games are very relaxed. You don't have an announcer trying to be smart and making comments...they just announce the player, and we watch. Last week, or the last week in February, was a picture of one of the pitcher's dogs doing his business on the infield. You don't see that every day. You do see the players running sprints near the outfield wall, and you can hear the crack of the bat as men work on their batting skills.

Today was my day to eat a foot-long hot dog. I shall eat no more during the season, since I just signed up with Weight Watchers online. I relished every bite. No salted, roasted peanuts though. The salt is a no-no.

I have a friend from church who goes with me to the games. This is her last rite of spring before she returns to Indiana for the summer.

In a month, they're gone. The young ones are hoping to make the roster of the team, as are some of the experienced players. The field becomes quiet until another spring.

3 comments:

srp said...

I watched baseball as a kid but never went to a real game. Maybe that is where it went wrong. I've watched high school girls softball but the national pastime just doesn't grab me like football does.

AC said...

Ooohh, I am pea green with envy. My reward for paying the last college check and the daughter getting a J.O.B. will be behind-the-dugout seats for an Atlanta Braves game. I really, really like baseball.

My mother-in-law lived for many years in Bradenton, but it was before *my* time. My husband tells me how, when he would visit, he would often go to spring training games, describing them the same as you...relaxed, inexpensive, great weather, great audiences.

Unknown said...

fun to read this Mrs. W! I LOVE baseball and have always wanted to go to some spring training games. I am an Orioles fan at heart- once I was in West Palm for Spring break and the O's were playing there- but my friends wouldn't go!! I was stuck just 5 miles away with no car.

What a lucky experience for you to have the league so close!! I am jealous.