Monday, March 20, 2006

Happy Spring

I have so enjoyed visiting different blogs today and the last few days and seeing all the lovely pictures of spring flowers. I can only imagine how it must be to see new life again after a winter of dreariness and no leaves on the trees. Living in Florida, we do have spring, but it's much more subtle than having the tulips and daffodils and all the other pretty flowers.

The oak trees shed their leaves in mid-winter without ever having changed colors. The new growth comes out quickly. Everyone this year has suffered terribly from allergies because of the blossoms. I, who never have reacted to them, thought I was dying this year. I was sure that the cough was going to carry me off. Thankfully, it only lasted a little while.

We get spoiled here having flowers year round. I don't think our green is ever as pretty as the spring green I've seen elsewhere, that is unless you use lots of water and fertilizer. My grass isn't green because I won't pay the city for the water to water it, and the well that we had I think has long since gone dry.

I remember visiting my daughter for the 21st birthday in North Carolina in January. The kids from Florida always said that winters were so dreary in the north...North Carolina qualifies for north in this instance. Dreary is not the word. When I flew into Raleigh, I remember looking out at the beautiful subdivisions with all the dead trees. The next day as were driving around, I realized that the trees were supposed to look that way.

When I flew back home, got into my car, and drove across the Sunshine skyway with the sun gleaming on the water, I realized once again why all the snowbirds leave their homes in the north for the winter and come south.

Our March here has been incredible...just another day in paradise. I don't think any baseball games have been rained out.

In another week or so, the snowbirds will be returning to their homes in the north, and then in the summer, many Floridians will head for the hills in North Carolina and Georgia to escape the heat of summer...it isn't exactly paradise then.

5 comments:

jel said...

hi,
thanks for leaving the wonderful song you left at my blog, i enjoyed very much!

you have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Even though my yard is still buried beneath the snow, little signs of spring are starting to appear. Some day I hope to be one of those northern snow birds that visits your beautiful state.

srp said...

There was a certain tree just down the street from the lab in Mississippi that I wish I had photographed in spring. Actually there were two trees side by side. I don't even know what they were but I don't think they were oak. The oak trees there turned in the fall with brown leaves but the leaves stayed until pushed off by the new growth in the spring.
Anyway these trees had moderately sized trunks, partially covered with climbing ivy. The ivy was a dark green. The bark was a very dark brown, almost black color especially with the pale, light green of the small budding spring leaves. In the summer they were nothing that spectacular but in those few weeks of spring the dark branches and the contrast with the leaves and ivy were breathtaking. Look, I found something else I miss about Mississippi, that makes two things, three if you count my house.

Unknown said...

Hi Mrs. W.

Happy Spring to you too. Unfortunately here in State College, it is not looking like spring yet. It is still in the low 30s and we're supposed to get snow this weekend. Spring doesn't REALLY start here til April, though the bulbs in my yard are just starting to peak through the mulch. We should have some spring floers in the next few weeks!! Maybe I'll send you a pic!

AC said...

We had 70 degree weather last week and this morning it was 27. Still all the daffodils are blooming--their heads were drooping this morning but they've all perked up since the day has warmed to 50. We get beautiful springs and falls here in East Tennessee, pretty mild winters relative to some others but hot and humid summers. Sometimes I want to go way further north myself.

My mother-in-law moved to Bradenton from Indiana years ago but health and *other family* issues forced her to move up here with us about 10 years ago. She really really misses Florida.