Friday, March 24, 2006

McKechnie Field


This picture is especially for the "hermit" who lives in Tennessee. She has mentioned how she loves baseball and that her mother had lived here in Bradenton. The field is in the same location that it has always been. I remember as a little girl when the Boston Braves had their spring training here, then they were the Milwaukee Braves.

My mother worked in a drugstore in downtown Bradenton and served Eddie Matthews and Warren Spahn. Warren Spahn lived here for many years.

The Pittsburgh Pirates came here after the Braves. They had some good years when they had the Killer B's...Barry Bonds, Bobby Bonilla, Sid Bream, Jay Bell...there was one more, but I can't remember his name. He played third base...and then there was Andy VanSlyke in center field. Jimmy Leyland was the coach. After a while, things went south. Jimmy Leyland left. He said he felt like he was simply providing players for the teams that paid the players more.

Now he's back coaching the Tigers. I hope he does well.

Right now, Florida is leading Georgetown in the Sweet 16. Will they make it to the Elite 8? Another 11 minutes will tell the tale.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved baseball when I was a kid.. we spent hours playing scrub baseball in the school yard. I haven't followed it much as an adult.. probably because we do not have a leaque team in my home town.

srp said...

That's a nice stadium and is it just for spring training or do they have minor league games there during the summer as well?

AC said...

Oh you are so lucky. And thanks for the picture of the stadium. How I'd love to be there.

It was my mother-in-LAW who lived in Bradenton. She moved up here to Tennessee pretty soon after I married her son and I never got to visit her in Bradenton. Thats a story in itself.

I'm counting down the days until opening day.

no_average_girl said...

i love baseball and have followed the braves for several years. my dad has talked about the boston braves before and how those boys used to play some baseball!

Anonymous said...

Hey I don't like baseball but I do like your blog and thank you for coming to visit me. I'm new as a blogger!