Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Christmas open house

Welcome to my home. I didn't take as many pictures as I thought I would, but this will give you a little glimpse of the open house that I had earlier in the month. As you can see, we folks in Florida who never see snow do enjoy snowmen. A friend that I worked with for many years made the reindeer and the snowmen, and I've enjoyed having them on my front porch over the years.
My table doesn't look too lavish from this viewpoint, but it was enjoyed by all...just plain old food, nothing fancy. Sarah had encouraged our having the open house, and when I asked her what she wanted to have to eat, she said "the same thing that we always had." Earlier when I mentioned about the open house in the blog, a missionary friend who had been at one many years ago, wrote and said how much she and her husband had enjoyed being in our home for the fellowship and the good food.
Peg is a friend of mine since grade school. We hadn't been together much since she had moved away from Bradenton. When her mother died, she inherited the house, and she and her husband moved back to Bradenton to live. We reconnected after Don died and enjoy doing things together. Her husband was so ill a couple of years ago with cancer and heart problems, but he seems to be doing well now. It amazes me to think what the body can endure and still survive.
Sarah (in the middle) enjoyed having some of her friends from high school come. Suzanne, the young woman on the left, graduated with Sarah, and they live next door to each other. Suzanne has a young son, Joshua, and Joshua has the same kindergarten teacher that Sarah had at Bradenton Christian. He finds that very hard to believe, but it's true. Grace, on the right, also graduated with Sarah, and she lives in Tampa where she teaches strings in the elementary school. She has a degree in vocal performance and does a lot of acting in the local theaters. Her favorite role was Maria in West Side Story.

I think we had around twenty guests in that evening. Plenty of food was left over, so I had some of my Sweet Adeline friends over the next evening to eat some of it up after we had gone to the movie.

It was a good weekend for visiting and enjoying time with friends...some whom I see regularly and some whom I hadn't had a chance to talk with for quite some time. I wish you could have been here. Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

srp said...

It looks like everyone enjoyed themselves. What a lovely evening. I do wish I could have been there.

Susie said...

It looks like a wonderful time Bev!
Merry Christmas!
:)

Karen Townsend said...

Looks like everyone was having a good time, as the smiles all around indicate.
Thanks for sharing your Christmas celebration.

AC said...

Could you do this again during spring training? We could feast and then go out together. Wouldn't that be fun?!
I love peeks into online friends lives, homes and activities. If only you could post some audio!

Merry Christmas, Beverly.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Oh Beverly everything looks so good and with all the cheery faces I can see everyone was having a grand time. I wish I could have been there too!

TJ said...

Your spread looked great...I don't know too many people that would not enjoy it!!
Great pics!!
:-D

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been there too. It sounds so lovely and the food looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

Bev,I love all the photos and the food was delicious. tell Sarah thanks for inviting me. and thank you for having me in your home.
and of course I love that cat picture. ha ha
And of course Etta is wonderful and beautiful.