Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Send in the clowns

Someone sent me this video the other day. There is such nostalgia there.
Besides listening to Frank Sinatra sing that song, one can watch all those marvelous comedians who have gone on...those comedians who didn't find it necessary to use profanity to be funny. They didn't offend. They entertained. Enjoy the trip down memory lane.

10 comments:

Susie said...

I've always loved that song!
Thanks for the trip down memory lane :)

srp said...

Ten years ago Nyssa and I went to NYC for a week with my brother. He had tickets for several Broadway shows including "Sunset Boulevard". Before I went I rented the old black and white movie version and watched it. There was no cursing or profanity whatsoever and it was a classic great film. The story line was clear, the characters believable. Then we saw the musical and there were curse words added in the lyrics all over the place. I enjoyed the sets and the acting and even some of the songs, but the profanity did nothing to add to the pathos or the plot. Why did the lyricist think he had to add them?

Karen Townsend said...

I really enjoyed the clip. I agree with Orson Welles, I'll take the clowns, too.
My all time favorite has always been Lucille Ball. I still watch I Love Lucy whenever I see it on tv. I've seen them all over and over.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

I like the old movies too where they spent more time on the 'story' and less time on bad language, vulgar, lewd ,and violent scenes -- I wish some of that would come back in today's moviemaking.

amarkonmywall said...

Did you sneak this post in between last night and your visit today? I think so! I was too busy meeting a blogging buddy to post today- what fun! I really enjoyed our time together and look forward to more soon. Unlike most blind dates, you're better in person, Bev!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Beverly, I really liked the clip. I agree, we need more entertainers and not offenders. I read Vicki's blog regulary and found yours via her site. Your story about the Tampa airport parking was cute and I know the red, blue areas well. I hope to fly into Tampa next month from my home here in Southern PA.
Take care and happy writing...

AC said...

Oooh, I'm still jealous of yours & Vicki's visit.

Where I am east of K'ville is about a 4 hour drive from Nashville. I wish it were closer too!

Anonymous said...

That was just wonderful and brought back so many fond memories. My Dad looked so much like Jackie Gleason. Everytime I see Jackie Gleason.. even if it is only for a couple of seconds.. I think of my dad. :-)

TJ said...

I love to watch TV Land for just this reason...I love all the retro shows!! Kind of makes me feel comforted and like a kid again!!
:-D

Anonymous said...

Sigh. Make mine clowns...please--?