Estonia is a country that was dominated by the Soviets until 1991. Freedom is fairly new to them, and they have made great strides in a short time. Situated on the Baltic Sea, right next to Russia, Estonia is a fairly small country. The people are very friendly and have welcomed us warmly. Tallinn has a walled city, called Old Town, that dates back to 1154. It has become a very popular tourist stop for cruise ships. After I was there in 2003, I had a couple of doctor's visits after my return, and both of the doctors had been in Tallinn that summer.
I mentioned in the last post, that being Baptists, we ate ourselves through the week. The first day that she was here I took her to eat at Riverside Grill that has seating outdoors. Right now in Estonia, there are only four hours of daylight, and so I figured she would enjoy the sun. The next day the pastor and his family took her to the beach for a potluck with friends. The next morning she was taken to the beach again for an all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast. And it went on and on throughout the week.
I tried to think like a tourist and take her places that would be representative of our city. Mixon's Fruit Farms is a favorite place for tourists. There is a great gift shop there with all kinds of "Florida-ish" type things, as well as very nice gifts. We were able to see how the fruit is brought in, sorted, washed, and packed. You can buy fruit right there, or you can have it shipped.
Later we went to the South Florida Museum where Snooty, the manatee, resides. He's always fun to see. Whitaker, a young manatee, who was injured by a boat's propeller is recuperating there, but he will soon be returned to the wild.

Later in the week, I took her to my father-in-law's house so that she could pick some oranges. Talk about excited! I remember being in Chicago with a group of ladies for a conference once in February when it snowed. Boy, were we excited, and those who see it all the time, looked at us like we were nuts. I reminded my friends that when those people come to Florida, they get all excited about seeing oranges growing, so there's really no difference.
T. publishes Christian books for the believers in Estonia. She is always looking for books which she can get translated into Estonian. It is very expensive, because the damand is not great, and so part of her time is spent raising funds to underwrite these (she calls it "begging for money.")
She said that their winter had been very mild with very little snow. They like the snow because it brightens their days. This is the picture the sent after she got back home. She had a wonderful time while she was here. I believe that she went home with a very good impression of us Americans. She said she was going to have a slide show when she gets home to show everyone. We loved having her here. She said several times that she would like to come back.
A group from our church is going to return this summer to keep our connection with them. Hopefully, I'll be going again.
9 comments:
I love that smiling expression as she's picking oranges! Our citrus crop here suffered terribly during the freezing weather. I suppose we'll be paying the price at the supermarket!
:)
Such a great post. It's fun to see our country through the eyes of folks excited to be here and curious.
When the husband hosted his Iraqi collegue last year, he had such a great time visiting NASA with him and our son. They brought back photos with very large smiles in them!
sounds like she had a good time!
I hope you get to go back , for a visit too! :)
and thank you for the visit, and for the comments on my blog!
take care
I love showing the area to a newcomer. Things that are old hat to me become new again and as beautiful as I remember thinking at my first sight of them.
I actually had someone ask me at the Farmers' Market I had a stand at for years, why why why was there no local organic citrus! In East Tennessee!!! I couldn't think of how to answer and remain polite.
The fruit from trees in a backyard is so different from what we get in stores. When I've ordered from specialty growers down there, particularly the honeybell or minneola tangerines, I am blown away.
I know you were an excellent hostess, Beverly.
Only four hours of daylight.. my that is even less than us. :-) Sounds like she had a most wonderful time in Florida... a trip she will remember always.
Picking oranges from an actual tree would have me feeling pretty excited too. :-)
If they only have four hours of light a day in the winter, they must have almost 20 hours of daylight in the summer. It is a feast or famine with light towards the north pole. I do hope you get to go again.. what a lovely trip and to meet and fellowship with Christians from a different culture.
Years (decades?) ago, I hosted two girls with Up with People, during their six-week training. One was from Switzerland, and she was a joy. Same thing--everything was new to her.
In the grocery store, one night, as I was selecting a head of lettuce, or something, I saw her looking at packaged cheeses. I walked over, pretty sure what was on her mind. Sure enough, she pointed at the cheese with holes in it and asked, "What's that?!"
I replied, "That's our Swiss cheese."
"No! No! Not ours!" she said, firmly shaking her head. She didn't even say it was a close approximation. . . .
I was struck by the contrast of your pictures in Florida and her home in Estonia.
That smile on her face while picking oranges is priceless.
We do have much to be thankful for.
What fun, reading this post and thinking about your week of entertaining. I can see as how you would be the perfect hostess. And wouldn't it be something to go to Estonia? You should definitely get on that bandwagon. Now, with only four hours of lights- no. No way. I need to photosynthesize more than that or I shrivel up and die.
Post a Comment