Sunday, February 04, 2007

Welcome to sunny Florida! Not!

Welcome to Florida, land of sunshine. The Super Bowl is played in warmer climates...just not always sunny. Rain was forecast for tonight's Super Bowl in Miami, and rain it did. Even though it was predicted that Indianapolis would win, I'm sure that there are many who thought that they might freeze up in the nasty weather, especially since they play at home in a dome, but they didn't. Yippee!

I had planned to have a Super Bowl party at my house, but all the people who were planning to come were sick. I had been invited to another party, and when all my guests canceled out because of illness, I called to see if I could still come to that one. So I took the food that I had prepared, and off I went. There were eight of us there, seven Colts fans, and one Bears fan. The Bears fan was very quiet during the game, but a good sport about it all.

A cartoon in the St. Pete Times today had a picture of two bears sitting at the edge of the forest. One of them was holding a sign that said, "Go, Colts!" The other bear's sign said "Off his meds!" I went to the store after church at noon, and there was hardly a parking place to be had. Everybody seemed to be excited about the game. I don't know if it was that way everywhere, but there was an excitement here for Tony Dungy, especially since he had been here for several years as the Bucs' coach.

When he was fired by the owners, he never said one word against them. The only things he says is that he thanks them for giving him the opportunity to coach. Tonight when it was said for the umpteenth time that he was the first African-American coach, he mentioned those who had in coaching positions before, though not a head coach, who had paved the way.

What a gentleman. What a Christian.

And then there's Peyton. As friend AC said, "Peyton looks good in tights." In fact, she was going to watch her first Super Bowl game tonight.

Well, that was a good first game to see. It wasn't the prettiest game, but the outcome is the one that we were looking for.

G0, Colts!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too agree that both coaches are believers in Christ ? I had picked colts to win and I believe the best team did win ? Have a blessed day. Ron.

AC said...

What a first game to watch indeed! I though after that first return touchdown by the Bears that we had frozen before we hardly got wet. What a comeback. But what a miserable playing condition.

Peyton looks GREAT in tights and is he ever tall! You don't notice so much when he's on the field, since his teammates are even bigger than he, for the most part, but on the podium after, he towers. What about that Addai? What about that defensive guy who intercepted, stayed in bounds and ran it out!? I was happy for everybody. I thought both coaches were gracious and respectful and it is good to know coaching doesn't have to be done with a string of curse words and yelling.

Obviously, Knoxville and environs were shouting with joy to the heavens. The newspapers were all Peyton yesterday (and the two weeks before as well) and one statement made about him really sums up the area's fondness for him. Someone said, "Peyton has no real reason to stay connected here, yet he does." He still comes here to youth sports banquets, UT functions, charities he is involved with here. He had a fine reputation as a college man, a fine one now. I've NEVER heard a word against him, except jealous sniping about how he gets so close and never gets the ring.

That is over now.
Only a month till spring training, Beverly!!!

Anonymous said...

The Superbowl was made a little more exciting and received a little more news time here in Manitoba, as one of our own, Israel Idonije, was playing defensive tackle for the Bears. I was working yesterday, so missed the game but the day was a big one for many here in Canada.

TJ said...

You know...I didn't see any of the games...or the commercials...or half time...I was in here doing blog visitation...one other blogger posted the "snickers bar" commercial...and it did not look like I missed much...*gak*
:-D

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

It was a good game and it was certainly made more interesting by the weather. I have a lot of respect for Coach Dungy. I was glad to see him gain what I thought was long overdue for him. It was the first time I can remember so much talk thanking the Lord in a football game. Will miracles ever cease?

Anonymous said...

The coaches were so gracious and it is touching that they are close friends. Dungy was a class act, saying it was most important to be a Christian coach, rather than an African American coach.
You know Lovie is from Big Springs, Tx and Addai on the Colts is from here in Houston. The local CBS affiliate here interviewed Addai after the game.
It was a great evening.

srp said...

If anyone has a copy of Sunday's USA Today paper, there is a special Super Bowl insert. On the back page, both coaches took out a full page ad that reads Beyond the Ultimate.....
"On Sunday, one of us will be a world champion. It's the ultimate goal-- but we know that there is more to life than football. Even when you have achieved the ultimate, something better lies beyond.

We're pro football coaches, but we are also men of faith. A faith that defines who we are. In comforts us in tough times and produces hope in the midst of adversity. It is through our common faith in Jesus Christ that we have individually experienced God's love and forgiveness. We would love to tell you more... please visit...www.beyondtheultimate.org."

Both men signed it.

Amen!