I know that anyone who was ever in Girl Scouts learned that song, along with Kookaburra, and other rounds sung in troop meetings. What a wonderful time that was. The photo above was probably taken around 1950 when we were in fifth or sixth grade. Most of us in that troop had begun scouting together as Brownies. Many of them went on in high school to become Mariner Scouts. The neat thing is that many of us who are in that photo still get together for lunch about once every three months, not just as former Girl Scouts, but as friends who went to school together from kindergarten through high school.
After I graduated from college, I lived in Cincinnati for five years and taught there. I have very fond memories of my years there, but after teaching there, I traveled to Haiti and lived for three and a half years and taught the children of missionaries. Most of those missionaries have retired now, and many of them live here in Bradenton at Bradenton Missionary Village, a community provided by Anthony Rossi, the founder to Tropicana Products. Whenever someone comes to visit, we take that opportunity to get together and visit.
Such was the case last Thursday. One of the missionary ladies who lives in New York came to the Orlando area to visit her son and daughter-in-law who have recently moved here. We met together for a pot-luck lunch, and as usual the stories began to be told by the men. They have the tales to tell.
As I look at these photos, I think of all the years of service that these folks gave. Most of them spent their entire adult lives in ministry to others. Some are now widowed, some are not in good health, but they rejoice in God's goodness in their lives. I have always counted it such a privilege to know them and to have had a part in the education of their children, many of whom are missionaries as well.
These are the "old friends."
I'm so happy for the "new friends" that I've met through the blogging community - SRP, AC, Coll, Karen, Debra, Judy, Tammy, Susie, Vicki, Vickie, Janice, Pastor Gordon, Lauren, Bet,Ron and the list continues to expand. My day is made brighter by visiting your blogs, sometimes lurking, often commenting. Thanks.
Make new friends, but keep the old;
Those are silver, these are gold.
New-made friendships, like new wine,
Age will mellow and refine.
Friendships that have stood the test -
Time and change - are surely best;
Brow may wrinkle, hair grow gray,
Friendship never knows decay.
For 'mid old friends, tried and true,
Once more we our youth renew.
But old friends, alas! may die,
New friends must their place supply.
Cherish friendship in your breast-
New is good, but old is best;
Make new friends, but keep the old;
Those are silver, these are gold.
Joseph Parry




17 comments:
What a heartfelt and uplifting post, Beverly. I treasure my new blogging friends, too. Certainly you. I'm enriched by your tales of faith and service.
I remember my scouting days and those songs, too. Seems childhood was simpler then.
I meet once a month with an old friend from second grade on and our mothers were troop leaders. We still talk about that over lunch, too.
What a neat post, Beverly. I was never a scout, but I am still somewhat in touch with a very few old friends--people I wish I could sit and visit with, occasionally, but we are geographically scattered. I've been "reunited" with several via e-mailing, a couple of them through Classmates.
The poem you included is beautiful, and oh-so-true. I treasure my friends, old and new, and I do count you among the new.
I love the pictures of the retired missionaries, too, to think of those people as much younger-- young parents, even--off in another country in the work of the Kingdom. What legacies they have left, already!
How interesting, Beverly, that we were both writing about missionary reunions on the same day! Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. I'm enjoying making new online friends, too.
Delightful memories and wonderful friends, This is such a nice tribute to them. You did a great service to the missionaries. 2 ladies and myself went to Uzbekistan and put on a vacation bible school type program for the children of missionaries there in the country. A fascinating and encouraging thing for me to do.
One of my favorite poems! What blessings you have counted here in this post! Lovely! *Smile*
Thanks for coming by... Welcome any time! ;o)
Beverly I am with you about remembering our early life as it was? I have heard many say they don't want to remember their early life and most say that they were poor and didn't have much? But little do they realize they were rich ? I am truly proud of my past and I know you are because God has richly blessed us ! Blessings. Ron.
Beverly, thank you for including me in your new friends list. You are certainly on mine. One of these days, I hope to be in that picture with you and Peg. I hope my reflexes will be sharp enough to catch a foul ball or deflect a slung bat. Wouldn't that make a memory!
I only made it through one year of Brownies because I wanted to take Tap Dancing and my mother thought one weekly activity was enough. I have made up for quitting though by purchasing more than my fair share of cookies!
I was deeply touched by your posting today. It is wonderful to discover new friends in really the most unexpected places. I always love to visit with you because you have such fresh ideas on so many subjects. Thank you so much for sharing...especially yourself.
A wonderful post, Beverly, and since I was a Scout, I know what you mean. I had loved that song ever since I was about 6 - and joined the Brownies. You are fortunate to know all those people.
Very nice and thought-provoking post, Beverly. I want you to know that I appreciate your "blog friendship" as well.
Maybe one day we will get to meet and become "real-life" friends.
I never got to be a girl scout as we moved around, but I know about the friendships in college and even grade school are still wonderful.
I am also very glad to have met you on this internet. Christ said wherever two or three are gathered together... how comforting to know He is here in friendships old and new.
Friends and giving: it's the difference between life, and life well lived.
Thank you for the touching reminder of why this matters so much.
I've always liked that little song!
Enjoyed your post!
:-D
This is a beautiful poem. Thank you so much sharing your heart. It has been a pleasure getting to know you.
Of course I remember that song from my Brownie days! I posted a picture of me in Brownies not long ago. How great you're still in touch with many of them!!
Now which one are you in the picture?
:)
Beverly,
I decided to visit your blog after you posted on mine! How wonderful! I am going to add you to my favorites!
:-)
P.S. I graduated from Boone High School in Orlando.
How wonderful to have shared all of those years and so many memories. I too dearly value my friendships, both new and old. And I am also so grateful for this modern technology which has allowed me to make friends through out the world. One can never have too many friends. :-)
Post a Comment