Tuesday, June 26, 2007

In Virginia

I flew up to Virginia on Sunday. Landing in Richmond right on schedule. I went to the car rental to pick up a car that I had reserved. I had filled out the paperwork online, and when I went to the counter, the young lady said, "Oh, I love to see these forms already filled out." I was glad I made someone's day. She asked me if I would like a PT Cru*ser. I responded, "Oh, why not." It's a cute little car, but I wouldn't want to take a long trip in one.

I arrived at my son's home around 8:45, so Ella was already in bed, and it wasn't until Monday morning that I saw her. She wasn't sure who I was. Her daddy is home with her this summer, so she is VERY attached to him. He is a wonderful daddy. He's doing some cleaning out of some shrubs in the front yard, so after she went down for her nap, he went out to work. When Ella woke up, I went in to get her. She didn't want to have anything to do with me...pushed my hand away, and walked to the other end of the crib. I finally took her out. We talked for a while, looked at some of the photos in her room, and then went out into the living room to play.

After a while she heard her daddy working, and so we went outside and watched him work for a while.
Posted by Picasa
I seem to have hot weather follow me wherever I go. Yes, it is hot here. The humidity is nothing to compare with that in Florida, but I wouldn't want to be out running a race. Ella's parents bought her a pool to splash in. David said that he wanted one big enough that he could get in and cool off too, so after working in the yard, he changed into a swim suit, and he and Ella got in the pool for a few minutes. She was so cute trying to catch the water out of the watering can.

Today has been totally different. She has a big grin when she sees me. If I pick her up and her daddy is nearby, she doesn't fuss, so maybe she is remembering me from before...whatever it is, it makes me one happy Grammy.

11 comments:

Susie said...

I just came from another blogging who showed pictures of her granddaughter in the pool. Water and babies are a great recipe for fun!
Ella is just adorable and glad she is warming up to you (again!)
xo

kenju said...

She is sooooo precious! I think she will semi-forget you after each visit until she is about 3 years old, then she will be able to remember (as long as it isn't too long). I love that her daddy is keeping her this summer and I really love that he gets in the pool with her!

Anonymous said...

Hello Beverly,
Glad you arrived ok ? Little Ella will help cure what ails you ? I think she is old enough to have chocolate Ice Cream with grandma and get chocolate all over mommy when she cleans her up ?
Nothing wrong with chocolate ice cream just makes them sweeter ?

Blessings.
Ron.

srp said...

She is so adorable in that pool... it just takes a day or so and soon she will be old enough to remember you from visit to visit. There is nothing more exciting than going to grandma's house.

Mom tells me that I was a bit different. I was three when we moved to Roanoke, Mom's home town. I could see my grandma and stayed at her house as much as possible. One night though I decided in the middle of the night that I wanted to go home and was inconsolable. It was quite a while before I wanted to stay over again. Just a phase.

Glad your trip went well. My mom was moved back to the rehab place today. Her knee is much better although it still looks horrible and purple.. they couldn't decide for sure if it was excessive hematoma or a cellulitis or a combination of both. But she has improved enough for rehab again. She is walking on it with her walker pretty well.

Karen Townsend said...

That's one precious water baby. It's wonderful that your son gets to spend the summer with her.

Enjoy your visit.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

What a darling little face she has, she is going to grow up to be just beautiful. I know you are just so happy to be there with her now.

Isn't it wonderful that your son has been able to be with her this summer. What a special bond they must have together.

Anonymous said...

She is as cute as ever...I'm glad you had a safe trip!
:)

Anonymous said...

She's so beautiful, Beverly. I thought of you today because the new prime minister of England has a son with CF and he was giving an interview on the BBC.

I love these photos of her playing in such a happy and spirited way- and I suspect she has reached the age where she recognizes you consistently. You're no longer "out of sight, out of mind!"

That's never the case with me- I've been wondering how you're tolerating the heat and yes, it's hot here too. We will most definitely plan a tour of the zoo when you are here.

I have a call in to Marcy, looking for news but no answer yet.

Anonymous said...

I'm told that long-term memory doesn't kick in until the age of 2 or 3 years, and that seems consistent with our grandkids, until they reach about 2. Each time meant starting over, until then.

I just can't get over Ella's eyes! Those are some of the most beautiful eyes around! Deep pools, they are! :o)

AC said...

I miss these days in the pool with a happy baby.

photowannabe said...

She's one sweet little girl and I know she will think her Grammy is the greatest. Have a wonderful time with her.