I spent a wonderful week in Virginia with my son and his family. Ella was an absolute delight. She is enjoying life to its fullest...so full of laughter and smiles. I believe she knew her grammy by the time the week was over. She would actually come to me from her parents' arms. She's a lover of books, a girl after my own heart. Right now, they go into her mouth. I wish they were all cloth. I have bought her many of the books by Eric Carle in the cardboard form for babies. They are favorites of mine that I used with my first grade classes.
When I retired from teaching, I disposed of a lot of teaching materials, but not the books that I had accumulated. Ella has them now...many of the Eric Carle books and some by Jan Brett. If you don't know her books, you're missing out on some wonderful artwork. She beautifully illustrates each page of her stories.
Anyway, I was to leave Richmond at 6:58, change planes in Atlanta, and land in Sarasota at 10:41. When I got to Richmond, with plenty of time to spare, the board said that the plane was on time. Later on I looked up, and it said "delayed." The girl at the desk announced that the plane would be late coming from Atlanta, but that everyone would be able to make their connections. I only had 25 minutes between planes, so when I asked her about that, she said, "Oh, your plane won't leave Atlanta until 9:55.
I arrived in Atlanta, only to have to go from one concourse to another. The girl at the desk had told some people that the plane to Sarasota was leaving from D-2, which, of course, was as far away as one could get. I didn't look at the board to see what time it was leaving, so I hurried over there. Passengers were boarding a plane, and when I asked where they were going, they said, "Seattle." Then someone said that the plane to Sarasota was leaving at 11:50. So I had hurried in vain.
The airport had been closed for a while because of the weather, and there were people everywhere. I got something to eat, got out my computer, and played games for a while. I was impressed with peoples' behavior. No one was rude. I did feel for people traveling with children. One flight was cancelled, and I heard some moans, but they were all given hotel rooms and vouchers for one-way travel within the year.
Sarah had taken me to the airport when I left to go to Virginia, and I told her I'd get a taxi home, but she said to call her when I got in. So at 1:45 in the morning I called Sarah, and she came to get her old mother. Thank you, Sarah. I got to bed around 3 this morning and had to get up to go get a shot at 9:15. Needless to say, I've been napping some today. I'm so glad I didn't have to go to a job today.
I have done something to my computer, and I cannot leave a comment on the blogger comments. It has something to do with the security. And so, Karen, Early Bird, Babette, AC, Carmi, and any others...I've been reading your posts and trying to comment, but I'm restricted for some reason. I'll get it figured out.
Pictures of Ella to follow...of course.
8 comments:
Good you're back safe and sound. Looking forward to new pics of baby Ella.
I love the Eric Carle books too. My grandson would listen to the Very Hungry Caterpillar over and over.
:)
Nyssa's two favorites were The Grouchy Ladybug and The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
It looks as if Haloscan is down for the count as well. If I try to open the comments it says server not found. If I erase all but the haloscan.com and try, it does the same, but if I then hit the back button I can see the comments. Someone probably messing with it trying to service something.
Now we will see if I can post this. I was at the house today to take delivery on the fridge. I am working on the little storage unit, a box at a time since my furniture that is in the moving company storage cannot be delivered until the 11th.
Glad to see that Ella is doing so well and so happy.... I know you miss her already!
Glad you are home safely and none the worse for wear.
I love those boods too and both of my boys read them over and over again.
Rest and hope you can get back into blogdom.
What an adventure! Glad you are home safe and sound. The latest pics of Ella are adorable!!
I still love children's books. My favorite classes in college were the library courses in children's lit. Better than any English course I ever took.
Eric Carle was a favorite here too.
Don't worry about leaving a comment at my place - I've said little of note lately and feel even less percolating in my head. Glad you are home safely with sweet memories of Ella.
I'm glad to hear you are safely home :)
It's probably a blogger glitch. Have you read any of the known issues site on Blogger?
Now that sounds like a dozzie of a flight -- thankfully I don't have to fly anywhere. It just isn't like it use to be...flying that is.
Can't wait to see some more pictures of lovely Ella!
Post a Comment