Wednesday, August 22, 2007

First Day of School

Today is the first day of school for students at my son's middle school in Virginia. When Sarah and I went up for Ella's birthday at the beginning of the month, I went with David one day to his classroom to see his setup and to view the Smart Board that he has in his classroom. What a wonderful way to be able to demonstrate math concepts to eighth graders. His is the only middle school in his city, and the school has undergone some major renovation and new construction.

When I walked into his classroom and walked the halls and visited some of the other classrooms, the first thing I looked at was the floors. How they sparkled awaiting new students. I remember as I would begin a new year of teaching looking at my room that had been cleaned so well over the summer with the shiny floors. The first day was probably the last day that they were so clean. Those of you who have been in the classroom know what I mean.

David's computer is connected to the smart board, and he is able to write with a stylus on the board and then choose to have the computer recognize it and save it. As you can see here, his desktop shows up there on the board. I asked David what his students thought of his photo of Sabrina and Ella. He said, "Oh, they love it. It helps them know that I'm human."

While he's there at the board, he can go to the internet and pull up helps and visuals for his students. Did you have a good grasp of fractions as a student, or did you just learn those facts like I did? Why does the larger denominator mean a smaller part? Here it is easier to visualize.
He can have a worksheet like this reproduced for the students to work at their desks as he demonstrates and helps them from the front.
This equation was written with the stylus by hand, then recognized by the computer. I was amazed. I'm not sure how many Smart Boards are in his school, but he, as a first year teacher, had one at his disposal last year. Such is not the case everywhere. I asked one of my teacher friends who in our county had smart boards. Her reply? "If you have connections, you might have one. They're very expensive." And then, unfortunately, there are still teachers who are a bit afraid of the "new stuff."
It is a new day in education. Methods change. Technology makes advances every day, and yet teachers are still working with human beings. I was always a bit jealous of my husband who was a master electrician. When he did a wiring job and was finished, there were never any loose ends, no wires hanging loose. If there had been, he would have been in big trouble. When he was finished, he was finished.
As a teacher, I never felt that way. I never felt that my job was done. There was always something more that could be done...never finished. And we were working with humans. We tried methods that got thrown out because it was decided that wasn't the right way to do it, and then if we waited long enough, here it came again...the same thing with a different name.
I salute the teachers who have started or will be starting this school year,
and I take my hat off to you, my son.
May you be a teacher who will make a difference in the lives of your
students this year, not just by the things that you try to teach in the
classroom, but by the life that you live before them each day.
(Please excuse the appearance of this post. The way that it posts, and the way that it previews are not one and the same.)
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Susie said...

How fortunate the students are to have your son as a teacher and this wonderful new tool to help them learn :)
I enjoyed reading about all the things possible to do with the Smart Board...
xo

L. said...

Wow, how things have changed since I taught school! Chalkboards and dust are in my memory bank.

I agree with all that you say about the "human factor" being so important in teaching. All of the technology in the world cannot replace that important element.

I join you in your salute to all of the teacher's out there...it is definitely one of the most overworked and underpaid professions!

I hope that your son has a great school year...
Grammie

Mr. Mapper said...

Thank you for stopping by my new Blog the other day! Pretty fancy computer!

Karen Townsend said...

Those Smart Boards are awesome. My son is in public school so he doesn't have the benefits of them. Many private schools here use them.

Beverly said...

David's school is part of the public school system. I think he is very fortunate to have access to this Smart Board.

kenju said...

WOW! It's not his father's Oldsmobile, is it? That is gret technology for the classroom!

Anonymous said...

I so admire the teaching profession. It is a job I know that I could never do. Bless them and their efforts.

The Smart Board looks like the most amazing teaching tool. What a wonderful age we live in. It is sad though, that it is so costly and not available to all.

carmilevy said...

As I watch my wife, who teaches 2nd Grade english/math and all-grade French, get ready for the school year, I find your words immensely comforting.

David seems like a teacher who clearly gets it. His students are lucky to have him: but you knew that already, of course.

Thank you, Beverly, for starting the school year with such inspiration.

jel said...

hope your son has a good year, my sister is a teacher in NV.



hope ya are doing good!

blessings

Traci Dolan said...

I've had my problems with the school system, but last year really restored my faith. I think this technology is fantastic for all children, regardless of how they learn.

Your post about bone marrow transplants was fabulous. I am a registered bone marrow donor and I hope some day to be able to help in that small way.

Your granddaughter is ADORABLE!

Anonymous said...

I saw a demonstration of a SmartBoard, one time, while I was teaching at the community college, here. But the librarian was using it to demonstrate how it could help with research papers. I think the library was the only place on campus that had one.

David is fortunate to have that tool, as you and everyone else knows (and I'm sure David knows!), and the students are fortunate to have a teacher who isn't afraid of technology, or of learning new things. Not to mention all his other fine qualities. :o)

Anonymous said...

Beverly you should ought to praise FSU at least a little bit. Papajoe and Bobby are good friends you know ?
I am so glad little Ella is doing so good ?
I don't know about all that new technology cause anything my children or grandchildren get me I have to get them to program it for me !

Blessings and have a blessed Lords Day .
Ron.

Bellezza said...

What an incrediable joy to have a son join you in your profession (even if you've retired). I think my son would make an excellent teacher, too, and I pray he chooses that path. If it pleases him.

I'm so happy to meet you, another sister in Christ. What a blessing it is to see your blog with the verse from Isaiah on the top corner. I can see we have faith and education in common; I'm looking forward to finding more similarities. May I add you to my blog on education?