Friday, August 24, 2007

Let's Go, State

Are you ready for some football? Just one more week, and college ball will be in full force. We can hardly wait! Who is your favorite team? I know that there is a great rivalry among some bloggers between the Spartans and the Wolverines. And then there are the two old men, who are still coaching and will probably be carried off the sidelines one of these days.

One day I was in the parking lot at Publix, and I saw a Florida license plate that had the letters, "Go JoePa" on it. It seems that Penn State fans are everywhere. One of the Sweet Adelines who happens to be from Pennsylvania has the letters "PSU" on her plate. I asked her if she had ordered it that way, and she told me no.

Of course, here in Florida, there is great rivalry between UF and FSU. I feel a little guilty, being a native Floridian and all, not having a particular loyalty to either team. Since David went to Penn State and I make it a point to watch the games with the Penn State faithful, my loyalty has been there.

As much as I love football, I find it very disturbing with all the emphasis that there is on sports. The other day there was article in one of the papers about the coaches (special teams, linebacker coaches, and assistants) who pull in twice as much as a professor. The article went on to say that the professors are trying to pull in grants to fund their programs while the athletic department brings in millions. One would think that those funds would help to fund the educational programs. Go here to read an opinion piece written by a departing professor.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in full agreement with the professor's article. I was bemused by the low level of expression and writing by most of the commenters, though.

Karen Townsend said...

Interesting article from the professor's point of view. I have long been disgusted with the huge money coaches make, plus all the endorsement deals, etc that makes them millionares while the average professor makes average, at best, money for the level of education most have. Sad. It says alot of our priorities as a country.

My husband is a Hoosier. Bloomington Indiana, his hometown, is the home of Indiana University. Big Ten basketball rules there. Bobby Knight was a disgrace, on a personal level, but as long as his team won, the product endorsements continued and the big bucks flowed his way. Lots of stories about him. None complimentary.

Beverly said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I am just beginning and have to start posting pics so it will be interesting. I love the happy baby...I work with sick babies, so I love to see a healthy one. I have three cutie grandbabies.
Come back to visit, I will visit you, too

Anonymous said...

PENN State's newest fan is one cutie patootie. :-)

I am not much of a football fan and know very little about the American game but my kids are all avid CFL fans.

I do agree about the salaries some of these players make and do feel that the money would better benifit either health care or education. I suppose these salaries say much about our society's obsession with those in the public eye.