Thursday, September 20, 2007

'Mater

There is one educator's blog that I particular love to read. California Teacher Guy writes of his experiences at the Jewel School in Dirty Little Desert Town. I traveled to his blog via another teacher's blog in the spring of last year. He at that time had just found out that his contract had been renewed in California. He spent the rest of the year and the summer seeking employment. He writes about his interviews and e-mails with various districts. This job, which is 150 miles from his home, ended up being the one that was offered to him. It was not one that he particularly wanted.

After arriving there, he started the year, and as you read his posts, it is apparent that he is where he is meant to be. Go there. Go into the archives and read his struggles and then read about his students that he is touching every day by his life.

I am drawn to teachers' blogs since I worked in education for thirty-six years but I must say that I'm glad that I don't have to get up and do that five days of the week now.

A few weeks ago, my cable provider called and offered me a free month of movies if I wanted to take a look. I chose to do it, and one day I was flipping through some of the movies and "C*rs" was being shown. I watched part of it...long enough to see the tow truck, named "Mater" without the tuh.

I smiled to myself as I thought of the first grader in my class who, when we were going over sounds of the letter "t" got one of the answers wrong on his paper. It was a picture of a tomato, and when he got his paper back and saw that that one was marked wrong, he raised his hand and said, "But teacher, 'mater don't start with no "t."

I smiled, and I smile now as I think of him.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Art Linkletter was right, of course. :o)

Susie said...

That's a long commute even for those of us living in CA! Loved your "mater" story. Cars is a very cute movie and our grandson loved it..
xo

photowannabe said...

This was a great post Beverly, because of your thoughts I visited the California teachers blog. Absolutely fascinating. He was blessed with patience and a true love for the kids.
Love your Mater story. So very true.

L. said...

...Out of the mouth of babes...

Great story! : )

Big Dave T said...

Hea. I don't know if you ever had a chance to read Fred's Blog, but he was a teacher down in Florida who had a great blog. It's gone now, but I still have it bookmarked in case he changes his mind and comes back.

Anyway, that's not why I'm here. Ya know, I'm thinking that if college football was a game of Monopoly and some player landed on Penn State, they would have to pay rent to my Michigan Wolverines. Heh, heh.

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Thank you, Beverly, for your kind words and for directing people toward my blog.

Blessings be yours in abundance!

Lady G~ said...

Thanks for paying me a visit and leaving a comment. I don't often get to post, but I try to as much as I can.

I also enjoy visiting CaliforniaTeacherGuy. The love he has for his students shows through on his posts.

Sorry to hear about the young one on your CF group who has chiari malformation. Like I mentioned before, I'm thankful that I'm the one that has it and not any of my loved ones. When I have good days they a great, but my bad days... well... I'll just leave it at that.

Feel free to stop by any time...

kenju said...

Out of the mouths of babes!

Anonymous said...

I have always so respected teachers and the work they do. I know myself that I would never have the patience. Bless them.

Bellezza said...

That 'mater story reminds me a little of this one:

One day I saw a boy write the word "fucher" on his paper.

"I don't think we should be using those words," I said as lovingly as possible.

"What's wrong with 'future'?" he asked.

Nothing. Apparently, my ability to read his work was as poor as his ability to spell.

Bellezza said...

Oh, and the obvious: California Teacher Guy Rules!

JAM said...

I grew up talking like that. I still can lapse into it at the drop of a hat too.

We moved from a tiny town in Louisiana when I was 12, to a larger Louisiana town. Everybody picked on me for the way I talked. Which is pretty sad, because when I go back to that larger town, where my family still lives, the accent kills me. It's incredibly thick "redneck."

Mine has softened quite a lot after ten years in Florida. Very few people I work with here or know down here have heavy southern accents.

I had me two 'mater sandwiches for supper one day last week. Fresh tomato slices with lots of mayo, black pepper, and on white bread. Even after all these years, that's still a 'mater sandwich to me.