Monday, June 23, 2008

In Florida

Last Wednesday I made my much anticipated trip to Tampa to pick up Ella and her parents at the airport. I hadn't seen her since the end of March, and what a difference a couple of months makes. When she saw me, she came toward me, but she wasn't too sure. She had been well schooled in saying "Grammy" and Aunt Sarah. On the way home in the car, she kept calling "Gammy." I sort of hope it stays that way. I like the sound of Gammy.
Prior to coming to Florida, David and Sabrina and Ella spent a weekend in D.C. David said her favorite time there was in the pool. She called it the "ocean." So my pool had quite an appeal to her. It didn't take long for her to get acclimated to the water. It's a good thing that there's a lock on the door. My pool hasn't seen so much activity in quite a while.
David went out to the garage with the wipes and cleaned up the F*sher Price garage that he and Sarah played with many years ago. The only things missing were the Bert and Ernie characters who rode in the cars. The elevator doesn't work quite as well as it used to, but it was fun watching them play and remembering days many years ago.

By the time you read this, they'll be on their way back home, and my house will be quiet once again. It has been a full and fun week, and I'll miss them terribly.
Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

Chlo'e Straz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kenju said...

Beverly, I cannot get over how much she looks like you!

I know you enjoyed her visit, and now her parents may have to put in a pool....LOL

We had that garage and I wish I still did!

Susie said...

The resemblance to you is so striking. (especially when I see the top photo with the photo of you so close to it!)
Glad you had a wonderful week together. I know what you mean about the house just being so quiet when they leave. You'll probably be finding little bits and pieces they left behind for some time to come. I know I always do!!
xo

Putz said...

i have that same exact fisher price garage that my grandson josh plays with, and we put gas in the fisher price cars, pusssssshhh goes the gas...love josh and the more i see of lacoochee's kid's kid, the more i fall in love

photowannabe said...

Oh Bev, that week went much, much too fast. Isn't it amazing how fast this little ones grow? I'll bet you took a gazillion pictures...
Love the Garage. My kids played with one forever and a day. We finally sold it at a garage sale after kids and their friends grew out of Sesame Street.
Ella looks so good and is such a princess.

Wendy said...

What a sweetie! She looks like she's grown - little face has filled out nicely.
Don't you just wish you could hold on to time? Especially a week with little Ella and her mom and dad. Weeks like that should be streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetched as far as they can go!
Oh, I'll bet that Fisher P garage brought back memories. Once again, you were probably transported right back to the time when your little ones were playing on the floor. And now they're all grown up with children of their own.
Hugs to everybody.

Shammickite said...

I'm so glad you had such a lovely week with Ella and her mum and dad. She's a sweetie... and does she still favour calling you Gammy over Grammy?
We also had a FP garage, when younger son got too old for it I gave it to a nursery school on my street... I wish I had it back now, young Callum would have fun with it when he gets older!

Karen Townsend said...

So sweet. She looks JUST LIKE YOU!! I know you're tired, but the good kind of tired, after the visit.

Anonymous said...

I never had kids, but it seems to me that watching your "kid" playing with his kid would be a little surreal!

When our youngest granddaughter was preparing (with her parents) to visit us while we were vacationing, a few years ago, her mom and dad were teaching her to say, "Grandpa Bruce" and "Grandma Vicki." My name kept coming out "Mickey," but her mom assured me they would continue to work with her, to get it right. I shot a note back and said, "You leave that child alone!" I love being Grandma Mickey! I would love being "Gammy," too. :o)

Jamie Dawn said...

Ella is beautiful, but of course you already know that.
I've saved some toys of my kids', and they think it is silly. I know they will think differently when they bring their babies over to play with them.
I bet that week went by WAY too quickly for you, Gammy.

Bear Naked said...

Oh my goodness.
I am like so many who have commented about that Fisher Price Garage.
We had one also when our children were younger.
How I wish we had kept those toys so our grandsoms could enjoy playing with them the same way their parents did.
Thank you for visiting my blog and for your kind comments.

Bellezza said...

I so wish I could have played with you all and the garage!

My mother's name is Madeline, and the grandchildren call her Grandmaddie. Gammy is good, too. ;)

KGMom said...

Oh such a week does fly by, doesn't it.
Thanks for sharing it with us. Ella just gets cuter--how can that be?

L. said...

Oh, I am so glad that I got a chance to catch up on your blog...love the pictures of your little angel!

Owen is calling me "Gammie" too.
: )

Anonymous said...

I so remember the F*sher Price Garage and airport. My boys had both and would play with them for hours. How I wish I had kept them. I think it is so special when grandkids are able to play with the very same toys that their parents once did.
I love the pig-tails.. so adorable. You are one very lucky Gammy. :-)

Froggymama said...

Wow, I used to play with the same garage as a kid. It was at our dentist's office (in the waiting room) and reading your blog brought back memories of playing with that same toy!

Those pigtails are adorable.

AC said...

I love watching Ella grow. What a sweetheart.