Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Project Blue - Take 2


More water! This bridge is the Sunshine Skyway that spans Tampa Bay, connecting Manatee County and points south with St. Petersburg. The original bridge was replaced after a freighter struck it some years ago. The first bridge had two-way traffic on it. Later a second span was built so that one went north, and the other south. It was the southbound span that was struck, and so for a while there was two-way traffic again until the new bridge was built.

Driving across the bridge and seeing the "broken bridge" as the children called it was quite an experience. The remains of the old bridge were made into fishing piers. Today when you drive across, you will find many cars on the piers with the owners doing their best to get the "catch of the day."

As you drive across, there are often pelicans flying by looking for their catch of the day.

By the way, the toll to cross this bridge was a quarter when it was first built. Today it is only a dollar...quite a bargain. If the bridge were not there, it would be necessary to drive up through Tampa and then over to St. Pete.

Some people do not like going across the bridge at all, but I love it. To see other "blue photos," go to Anna's site.
Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Dianne said...

I love crossing bridges. And this one is a beauty, great shot.

I really liked yesterday's shot too. Blogger was misbehaving yesterday :)

srp said...

I do believe the water is bluer where you are. Here the shelf is so shallow so far out that the water close to the beach looks a bit different!

srp said...

BTW... Tuesday's Challenge is "bridge". Yours would be a perfect entry!

Raven said...

I love bridges! This is an interesting one. I grew up with the George Washington and NYC bridges which are so different. Nice perspective from which to photograph it too.

CG said...

Great bridge...I've ben over it, great choice for Project Blue :)

Wendy said...

I must add my 2 cents as well and say I love bridges too!! Great photo.

JunieRose2005 said...

I love your cool Florida blues!!


Junie

kenju said...

We drove over that one years ago; probably before it was hit.

Lilli & Nevada said...

what a great bridge and blue water and sky

photowannabe said...

Great shot for Blue. I can't believe the cost is only one dollar. The Golden Gate Bridge is $5.00 and the S.F. Bay Bridge is $4.00. Between that and gas its too expensive to go anywhere.

Putz said...

see, i told you that you lived in an interesting place

Dorothy said...

Beautiful blue! And interesting history of the bridge.

June said...

Every time I go over this bridge I can't believe how high I am! Nice shot!

Rebecca (Ramblings by Reba) said...

That's pretty!

Mother of Invention said...

You are so lucky to be near all this water! Beauty!