Thursday, June 12, 2008

Why Lacoochee Kid?

When I started blogging, I thought I would use it to chronicle my life for my children. As I thought of a name for it, I had no brilliant ideas, and so I thought back to my childhood and Lacoochee. I don't think there would be too many people who would use that town's name in a title, and so I decided to use "Lacoochee Kid."

I was born there and lived there until World War II ended. My parents had decided to leave Lacoochee oncethe war was over. Even though I was not quite four when we left, my aunt lived there, and we went back and visited from time to time, and then sometimes I would go and spend a week with my aunt. And so I have quite a few memories of Lacoochee.

If you read this post, you will understand the photo in my header. That picture holds many memories for me. I put a photo of myself as "Lacoochee Kid" in my profile because that was one of the photos my parents had taken of me in Lacoochee. Someone commented today that Ella looks a lot like that picture. It has indeed been interesting to compare our photos and see the similarities.

There isn't much to Lacoochee any more. The building that housed the saw mill is still there, and there are a couple of buildings, a post office, I think, and a school. I drove by one day on my way to the northern part of the state and tried to picture in my mind the Lacoochee that I knew. It isn't there any more. However, much of the history of Lacoochee is in the Pioneer Museum in Dade City. That is one place I hope to go when Ella comes with her parents; that is, if it's not too hot.

12 comments:

kenju said...

Just when I saw that photo tonight, I thought...Doesn't it look like Ella!!

I like the new header photo too, Beverly.

Wendy said...

Oh Bev, you do look like Ella.
Nice to visit down memory lane.

L. said...

So interesting....

And, Ella definitely takes after her Grammy!

: )

Unknown said...

Beverly, good to be back in the blogging world. I hope you have a wonderful time with Ella adn D & S! I look forward to pictures!!!

KGMom said...

You & commenters beat me to it--my first reaction on seeing your new pic was--ELLA! I do see where she gets (at least part of) her looks.
Cute.
I love the new header & the explanation. You answered a question I have had, since beginning to read your blog, oh way back when.

Putz said...

thanks for the background info, you must have known i needed an explanation for all your surroundingss

photowannabe said...

This is a repeat of the others, Ella certainly has your genes in her too. I love hearing all the history of small town USA. Thanks for sharing Beverly.

Bellezza said...

You are too darling in your picture. I can see that it really is you from the one you posted previously of yourself (I believe you were on the beach for the walk-a-thon?). Your sweet spirit shows through both of them quite clearly.

I received the package of books today, and I am quite astounded at the gift. I wrote a quick post on "Dear God..." but I will write a better one as soon as I finish them. Bless you, Beverly, and thank you for being a Sister in Him to me.

Karen Townsend said...

I like the new header a lot. And, sweet Ella does look a lot like her grandma.

Anonymous said...

I've been back to the neighborhoods of southern California where I grew up. They've gotten old! And, yes, I do know what that says about me. :o(

Susie said...

Love the header and the interesting link back to your "roots" Echoing others here: Ella looks so much like you!
xo

Jamie Dawn said...

I agree that your blog photo and Ella's photos do look a lot alike. Both are cutie pies!!!