A week has passed since we were in Washington. As I stated before we spent the night in Fairfax, took the Metro into the city, got off at the Smithsonian stop, and as we exited and looked around, there it all was...looking to the right was the Capitol building, and
to the left was the Washington monument. What an imposing structure. I remember seeing it on my trip to DC before, but I had forgotten just how tall it is.

Surrounding the monument are US flags. I didn't count them, but I assume there are fifty, one for each state. Then I read somewhere that there are fifty-six, one for each state and the territories. What about the District of Columbia. Does anyone know?
Looking down the mall from the Washington Monument is the Lincoln Memorial. We walked down there, and on the way visited the World War II Memorial and the Vietnam Wall. I must say this was a memorable day for me. Seeing the World War II Memorial was perhaps the most moving...more to come.
5 comments:
I've visited DC three times, and each time was wonderful.
I LOVE the Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials. When I read the words posted in those places, I have to hold back tears.
Oh, how I wish we had a leader like Abraham Lincoln today.
We could really use a person with those leadership skills.
I have not seen the WWII Memorial, but I will next time I visit DC.
I'm sure it is a very moving and emotional place to visit.
Ella looks adorable as always.
I'm glad you enjoyed your trip.
I've been there many times, and I always get teary-eyed and proud of all the memorials and beautiful buildings.
HOW BEAUTIFUL ...thanks SO much!!
I can't ever tire of looking at our wonderful American buildings.
Sorry, but the thought of Obama in the White House will greatly diminish that feeling....i hate to admit it, frankly.
We have to remember those buildings will still stand. I think!? MAybe he'll think they're too grand for us? Sorry to go so political...I'm a little down about the whole thing!
Makes me want to go again, it's been years. Thanks for the min tour.
Beautiful, heartfelt pictures. I love the flags around the Memorial. To me that puts a lump in the throat.
Post a Comment