Sunday, November 30, 2008

First Sunday of Advent

Christmas is upon us, and it seems so soon. We've just finished Thanksgiving, and here it is December tomorrow. Someone said in a post that they wished we celebrated Thanksgiving like the Canadians do. That way we could concentrate on Thanksgiving and then have plenty of time to turn our thoughts toward Christmas.

The first Sunday of Advent--that never meant a lot to me because I grew up in a church that did not practice the liturgy that many churches do. However, in 1991, our family began attending another church where we became members, and in this church, the same denomination that I had been in all my life, did have part of the order of service the lighting of the Advent candles and reading Scripture that was a part of it. In the years since then, I have looked forward to that part of our Christmas celebration.

I am amazed and awed by God's plan and His love for the world and for me. He, who was God, wholly and holy God became man like me and took my sins upon Him.

The Anchoress has a wonderful post today, expressing so well the meaning of Advent

Come, Thou long expected Jesus
Born to set Thy people free;
From our fears and sins release us,
Let us find our rest in Thee.
Israel’s Strength and Consolation,
Hope of all the earth Thou art;
Dear Desire of every nation,
Joy of every longing heart.

Born Thy people to deliver,
Born a child and yet a King,
Born to reign in us forever,
Now Thy gracious kingdom bring.
By Thine own eternal Spirit
Rule in all our hearts alone;
By Thine all sufficient merit,
Raise us to Thy glorious throne.

If Christmas is a part of your life, I pray richest blessings for this wonderful season of the year.


15 comments:

Beverly said...

Nice post today. I feel like we have blended the holidays this year....
I now turn to christmas.

photowannabe said...

Blessings to you too. Its so easy to get wrapped up in the "things" of Christmas that I can forget the true reason for the season.
Have a wonderful week Beverly.

podso said...

Yes Thanksgiving was so late this year it seemed rushed and Christmas begun before it was over. Maybe now we can slow down and enjoy the season. I like your stars on the blue!

Babette said...

O come, O come, Emmanuel! Thanks for staying in touch, Beverly! We have a new grandbaby coming in March, Lord willing.

Blessings to you and yours!

kenju said...

A lovely post, Beverly. It is indeed a part of my life and I welcome it and what it means.

JeanMac said...

A nice post,good words, Beverly.

Simply Coll said...

I too am looking forward to celebrating the Christmas season. I have so much to be grateful for and two new babies to share it with. :-)

Shauna said...

I am new here! What a great blog! ♥ Hugs!

That Janie Girl said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love your blog and will be back!

I love that you worked in Haiti missions. We do have some things in common!

Putz said...

WE ARE GOING TO TRY TO CONCENTRATE ON OUR SAVIOR BY HAVING A ANNUAL PAGEANT, WHERE I HAVE PICKED A CAMEL THIS YEAR AND I WILL ALSO HAVE TO NARRATE when my son dan will be joseph daughter mary and hannah grandaughter jesus and carol p the strweet the angle , i mean angel

Jamie said...

Hi Beverly!
Thanks for visiting my blog! I hope all is wonderful for your grandaughter! Please remember that she will be eligible for make-a-wish type programs! Make her life as full of happiness and faith!
Thanks!!

Wendy said...

Lovely post, Beverly.
Blessings to you and your family.
Hope you get to see little Ella over the Christmas holidays.

Jamie Dawn said...

The Christmas season is my favorite time of year, and I am not a fan of winter at all. It is what Christmas is about and the whole merriment of the Christmas spirit that really makes it so special to me.
I love the wonder and simplicity of the Christmas story and message of good will to all.
I wish you a blessed holiday season.

Joy Des Jardins said...

I am one of those who think we pile up seasons too much...and yet I did that very thing this year. I decorated for Xmas right on Thanksgiving.....just like the stores do. It's just the way it happened....but I have to admit, it feels good to have it ALL done. I love Xmas! This year is going to be very busy for me with all of my kids in town....lots of blessing right there. I hope you have a really wonderful holiday season with your sweet family and your adorable Ella Beverly. Take care....Hugs, Joy

Bellezza said...

For me, the opposite is true: I celebrated Advent all my growing up, and now the church that I attend doesn't! (I suspect they threw the baby out with the bathwater, in trying to do away with 'meaningless' liturgical customs.) Anyway, I so dearly remember the wreath of greens with the candles around them. My mother always used the traditional 3 purple, 1 pink, and lit the candles for the duration of dinner. I loved watching their uneven lengths burn slowly down, bringing us ever closer to Christmas. Can I say that your post, and your faith, and blogging with you, is a total blessing? You a wonderful person, Beverly. I'm glad to 'know' you at least through my computer.