Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving from beautiful, sunny Florida. I've read so many wonderful Thanksgiving greetings and posts already. I wish for you all a blessed day wherever you find yourselves. Ella's going to be with her grandparents in Ohio this weekend. She'll get to see her two little cousins and aunts and uncle, along with her grandparents. Sarah and I are having dinner with one of her very good friends. Heather is cooking her first Thanksgiving dinner, so she hasn't made any great promises. Whatever the result, it will be good to be with friends.

As we look at the economy and wonder where it is all going, I've been reminded this week as I read a letter from missionaries working in Cambodia, as they describe families who live near garbage heaps, looking for their daily sustenance there, and seeing photos of children from Haiti who are literally "skin and bones," we still have so much.

May we always have grateful hearts. I love Psalm 100 from The Message.

Psalm 100
A Thanksgiving Psalm

On your feet now—applaud God!

Bring a gift of laughter,
sing yourselves into his presence.

Know this: God is God, and God, God.

He made us; we didn't make Him.

We're his people, his well-tended sheep.

Enter with the password: "Thank you!"

Make yourselves at home, talking praise.

Thank him. Worship him.

For God is sheer beauty,
all-generous in love, loyal
always and ever.

Happy Thanksgiving.



10 comments:

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

And a blessed Thanksgiving to you and your family, Beverly!

Karen Townsend said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Beverly. Wishing you good food and fellowship on this very American holiday!

Wendy said...

You are so right - and it's funny, I've been thinking of people in Africa. Somebody I know knits hats and blankets for the babies in Africa. She brought some little hats in (to our aquafit class) to show us. That got me thinking of how fortunate we really are in this continent. Even with everything in chaos - it certainly is not like some of the impoverished countries.
Happy Thanksgiving to you. It will be nice for you to hear all of Ella's adventures with her cousins and other grammy when she comes home.
Hugs

srp said...

A Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! The hospital food turned out to be OK and it looks like Mom will be transferring to rehab tomorrow... I told her she really had to step it up... Papa Jo is a year older than she is and he plans to be back to work by Dec. 1st. He is obviously in really, really great shape other than his hip!

kenju said...

That's a lovely psalm - quite poetic. I hope you had a good Thanksgiving, Beverly.

Mother of Invention said...

Hope you had a lovely and delicious Thanksgiving! Ours seems so long ago now! Guess everyone down there goes shopping tomorrow to kick off the Christmas season but maybe people will not spend as much this year.

JeanMac said...

Sounds like a nice, quiet time - we need that sometimes.

Z said...

I hope you had a terrific Thanksgiving, Beverly!!

Anonymous said...

Our worship service this morning was mostly music, with all four praise teams on stage. But about half-way through, our pastor came up and just gave a brief meditation on Psalm 100. 'Twas very good! It really is a beautiful Psalm.

Hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving. Ours was quietly pleasant.

Simply Coll said...

It's true.. we are indeed very blessed. Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving.. all the way from Canada.