Sunday, November 23, 2008

Let It Snow

Did you see the Penn State football game Saturday? Snow, snow, snow. I became a Penn State fan when my son went there to university. When I can, which is most of the time, I watch the football games with the Gulf Coast Penn State Club. A lot of the faithful viewers are Pennsylvania natives, who have retired to Florida.

When the game came on, it was snowing quite a bit. The temperature was 24 at game time. Laughter erupted from the group as they looked at all the fans bundled up...of course, there were the students who were there with no shirts on and their blue body paint.

During the game, as the camera panned the crowd, there was a sign that said, "As long as we've got Joe, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow."

The room was full of loud chatter when all of a sudden, it became very quiet. I looked up at the TV, and there was Jo*Pa, speaking in an interview. Everyone had stopped in mid-sentence to see what he had to say. He has been doing his coaching from the booth for a few games since he injured his hip at a pep rally early in the season. I just read online that he had hip replacement surgery today because he wants to be back to work by December 1 to help get the team ready for the Rose Bowl.

A national championship is what the team was after, but after the 1 point loss to Iowa, they dropped in the standings. The thought is that even if they had gone undefeated, they would have been overlooked in the BCS standings. It has happened before.

Anyway, they beat up on Michigan State and earned the Big Ten title, so it's off to the Rose Bowl.
Let's go, State!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when the best teams went to the Rose Bowl--and all the others watched the game. Now there are way too many bowls; it sorta dilutes the glory-rights, I would think. I still think the Rose Bowl should have the best of the best; maybe it's still the case.

photowannabe said...

Congrats on their going to the Rose Bowl. Its quite an honor and an exciting time for everyone.

Putz said...

juscannot believe you WOULDN'T MENTION UTAR IN all this...they are AHEAD of penn state in the polls and unbeaten...maybe not rose bowl but maybe suar bowl...

Loren said...

Hi!
Thanks for the visit and the comment.I like your blog, what did you teach? Yes, Mr. Putz is so sweet.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

The BCS is a joke...and they have a true mess on their hands again this year. I guess it keeps things interesting though! Thanks for stopping by and Ping sends his regards...

:-)

kenju said...

I have never been a football fan, so I am clueless. I am glad you enjoy it!

KGMom said...

GO PENN STATE.
So Joe had hip surgery yesterday, and should be up and about in time for the Rose Bowl.
I note that when Penn State loses (by one point) they drop way down. But when Texas Tech loses--make that LOSES--they still stay ahead of Penn State.

Wendy said...

Yippeeee - off the the Rose Bowl. I must admit I'm with Kenju - pretty clueless.
But - I wish you a fun time!!

JeanMac said...

That's a huge achievement.

jel said...

happy Thankgiving Bev

Joy Des Jardins said...

What an exciting time Beverly....I love when you have that to look forward to. The Rose Bowl is a big deal....enjoy.

Deb said...

I am sure laughter erupted when you saw the snow and 24 degrees from the comfort of sunny FL! LOL!

We wish you a very blessed Thanksgiving Beverly!!