When I visited Washington a few years ago, it was in June, and I literally became ill from the heat. The ladies I was with and I rode the trolley to see the sights, a great way to go, by the way. You can hop on and off all day. When we got to the Jefferson Memorial, I looked for the gift shop because it was cool there. We rode on to the Lincoln Memorial, and I was so hot and almost overcome by the heat that I told my friends I had to go back to the hotel. They went on to see the Vietnam Wall.
I missed seeing it that day, but I didn't miss it this time. My husband served in the Air Force in Vietnam and came home. Many did not. This wall has row after row of names of those people who lost their lives there. Some were there rubbing names onto paper. This gentleman was down on his knee with his phone out, taking the photo of the name of his loved one.
I just read that it was on this day in 1982 that the Vietnam Memorial was dedicated.
Rows...reminders.

14 comments:
I think I love rows as usually that means some sort of order. But this row, a reminder row, is far more significant. What a lovely post, Bev.
Beautiful photo- i've enjoyed your entries these last few weeks... i've been low on inspiration for my own writings... but LOVED the pics of Ella- esp the one where you can see David smiling on the edge!
I've adored Maya Lin who designed the Vietnam Wall for years. I finally got to hear her speak over the summer. She was wonderful and down to earth while still inspiring. Rows can be powerful, can't they, as your photographs tell.
What a tie-in to Vet's Day, too. You did a BEAUTIFUL job here, Beverly...very interesting post and good pictures.
Though they're in rows on that wall, or at the VA cemeteries, our beloved American dead can never JUST be "in a row", can they. ...They NEVER will be..
Good post for Carmis theme as well as Veteran's Day, Beverly. I know how unbearably hot it can be in DC - and I have been there when it was 17 below wind chill. I don't know which is worse!
You captured a very special "row". All day today I saw "rows" everywhere b/c of the theme. LOL
What a nice old gentleman, taking a photo with his phone. I didn't know what he was doing down there!
There sure are a lot of rows. Didn't realize it could get that hot in Washington.
A great post and pictures.
I would love to be able to ride the trolleys. Maybe someday. :-)
Very thoughtful photos and words.
Beverly, great pictures. I remember when we went to Washington not long ago. I was overwhelmed with all the monuments and all of those who have served our country so faithfully. Blessings.
My husband is an AF veteran who served in Vietnam War, too. I was in elementary school when he went over!
The Vietnam Memorial was such an impressive thing to see and so touching. it put a huge lump in my throat.
very nice post. Maya Lin fan here.
I look forward to visiting D.C. again, and I'd love to see the WWII Memorial. The other memorials and monuments always bring up strong emotions in me.
I have felt such pride each time I've been there.
I've also visited Arlington Cemetery twice, and that place also evokes deep emotion.
Our nation is great, and I pray we never stray too far away from our original ideals, heritage, and foundations.
Post a Comment