Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Carmi's New Theme - Shadows


Carmi's new theme this week is "shadows." I tried to think what I might have in my files that would fit this theme. It's amazing what one keeps on file in a computer. As I was looking out my son's front door one February, this was what I saw, the lovely maple tree all bare. Its shadow graced and laced the front yard.

Living in Florida, one doesn't see the changes of seasons as one does in other parts of the world. I love looking at the bare trees, seeing the clear blue sky through the branches. When my daughter turned 21, she was in college in North Carolina. Her birthday is in January, and I flew to Raleigh to be with her over in Mount Olive. As the plane was approaching Raleigh, I looked out the window and saw beautiful houses with trees around them with no leaves! I thought that someone should do something about the dead trees. The next day we were out driving, and it struck me, "The trees aren't supposed to have leaves this time of year, dummy!"

I'm reminded of the wonderful hymn which mentions shadow and the seasons--"Great Is Thy Faithfulness." What a comfort these words are to me. The hymn speaks of God's faithfulness to His people, and it is one of my favorites. You can read the words and hear the song here.

Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

srp said...

The leaves here are still trying to fall... it seems like they are taking longer to do so this year. Last year they all fell at once, covering the back yard. The new dog doesn't care for leaves.... especially wet ones.


But we did have snow already... yes, it was only for 15 minutes and it only left a dusting which melted about 15 minutes later... but it DID snow!

MaR said...

What a beautiful shadow!! Love that tree , perfect for the theme :)
Mine are posted too...

photowannabe said...

Perfect choice for Carmi's theme. I may try this one myself.
We still have leaves falling but most are finished. Of course no snow here but we really could use some rain.

L. said...

Wonderful picture!!!!!!!

xoxo

podso said...

Lovely photo and a really nice post! And for some reason I remember David wanting to eat only rice or mainly rice! At some stage.

podso said...

Oh and the last part of the comment was in reference to what you commented on on my blog. :-)

kenju said...

That's a beautiful shadow pattern, Beverly. I'm working too hard to write much now.

Jama said...

What a beautiful catch!

Wendy said...

Nice shadow pic. And I generally don't like skeletal looking trees, but sometimes, they can look dramatic or just calm and serene.

I have a friend from Jamacia, who came to Canada in March. She thought all the trees here were dead. LOL!

Jamie Dawn said...

That truly is one of the best hymns. I grew up singing all those hymns in church, some of them are very special to me.

Nice photo.

Our trees are nearly all "dead" now, except for the evergreens.

JeanMac said...

Great picture. I love that hymn, also.

Putz said...

penn state rose bowl, bama beat up, utar still waiting for their bcs bid, did you understand all that????????

carmilevy said...

I can always count on you for some photographic/life perspective!

What I've always loved about living in a part of the world that experiences seasons is that when things look "dead", they are in fact more alive than ever. I relish being able to explain to our kids that the tree without leaves is vibrantly alive, and we need to look deep to find the evidence.

Anonymous said...

My favourite time is when the empty branches suddenly fill once more with leaves. I must admit to feeling a little sad once I see them bare. I guess being way up here, bare=cold and snow. :-)

I too love shadows. They seem to take on a life of their own at times.

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Shadows fascinate me, too, Beverly.