Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Up - Carmi's photographic theme
High up near the top of the Washington palm, I often see this pileated woodpecker. This tree is in the back yard of the house next door to me and from time to time when I go out in the mornings and look near the top of the tree, one or more of these woodpeckers can be seen there. A couple of years ago when I looked up, there were four babies on the trunk of the tree. That was especially exciting.
Carmi has the theme "up" this week over at his blog. Go visit and see his photos of "up."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
I don't think I've ever seen a woodpecker - and if I did, it certainly wasn't as eye-catching as this one.
I think I need to move: the birds here aren't as pretty as yours!
I think there is something very special about a woodpecker. Perhaps its because they are so illusive. I would have loved seeing the 4 babies on the tree trunk.
what a gorgeous bird that is.
I've heard them pounding on an old tree - and that bird can make some NOISE.
What a great shot! We have red headed woodpeckers in my neck of the woods...one in particular who must have a couple of screws loose because he is always pecking away on a metal piece of the telephone pole! :)
Beautiful picture Bev and the sky is so blue! And cloudless.
Woodpeckers are such pretty birds. I like their topknots.
We have them in the trees around where we live.
I wish you could have captured a photo of those baby woodpeckers.
I have a cute story for you. I have these cousins who are quite a bit younger than me. Years ago, they each got parakeets as pets. They decided to name one of them Woody and one of them Pecker.
Kids DO say the darndest things!
What a wonderful picture for the theme. I haven't had such success in photographing birds. Guess my little camera isn't the best for it.
A woodpecker on a palm? I've never heard of such a thing. You learn something new every day...
I love these big red headed guys... but rarely see them here. Wonderful capture.
I have seen the pileated woodpecker in Wisconsin but NEVER have I been able to achieve such a large photo and in focus shot of one. Good job!
Happy Valentine's Day.
Joyce
What a great crest the Woodie has. I could never stop wondering how their head must hurt so from the constant pecking of wood.
Post a Comment