Friday, July 03, 2009

A Sure Shelter

This has been a rather long week to me. On Tuesday I had four squamous cell carcinomas removed, one from the top of my head, and one on my hand, the other two on my arm. I spent most of Tuesday, well, part of Tuesday in two different doctors' offices. The first doctor did the Mohs surgery on my scalp and hand; the second doctor did the repair work and excised the other two spots. By 1:20 Tuesday afternoon I was all stitched up and out the door.

I was given a prescription for an antibiotic and one for pain, and I was on my way. During the time that I was in the plastic surgeon's office, it started to rain...quite a downpour. By the time I was ready to leave, it had subsided, and I didn't get to wet walking to my car.

Before she started cutting and sewing, we were talking about lots of things, and I mentioned that I had lived in Haiti for three and a half years, and then the conversation turned to the difficulty of the living situation of the people in that country. She kept saying, "How do they make it through these storms and the hurricanes that sweep through the country?"

Well, the answer is, "not very well." Sometimes houses are swept away, animals swept away, even many lives are lost. It is a hard thing to see.

I picked up my prescriptions, got something to eat, and came on to my nice, dry home, safe from the storms around. I settled in for the rest of the day and listened as the rain came down, thankful.

I think too of the storms that come in my life...losses, hurts, disappointments, illnesses...and I think of the shelter I find...friends that I see often, friends that I only know through the internet, family, my church, and most of all my Lord Jesus Christ.

I was reminded of a song that we used to sing a lot at church...A Shelter in the Time of Storm.

The Lord’s our Rock, in Him we hide,
A Shelter in the time of storm;
Secure whatever ill betide,
A Shelter in the time of storm.
.
A shade by day, defense by night,
A Shelter in the time of storm;
No fears alarm, no foes afright,
A Shelter in the time of storm.

The raging storms may round us beat,
A Shelter in the time of storm
We’ll never leave our safe retreat,
A Shelter in the time of storm.

O Rock divine, O Refuge dear,
A Shelter in the time of storm;
Be Thou our Helper ever near,
A Shelter in the time of storm.

Oh, Jesus is a rock in a weary land,
A weary land, a weary land.
Oh, Jesus is a rock in a weary land,
A shelter in the time of storm.

16 comments:

srp said...

This is one of my favorite hymns... I sometimes go through the day and find myself humming and singing different hymns.... they are so comforting and uplifting. I am so glad these are burned into my memory from childhood.

podso said...

It's the truth, isn't it, and such a precious one. Could you imagine life without knowing the Rock.

By the way, your photo collage below is darling,

kenju said...

How did I get to be this age without hearing that hymn?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing about Haiti. After traveling around the world as a missionary spending time in Haiti and the DR and now hanging out in Ghana, the rest of the world does live a bit lower than us. BUT, they seem to be much happier. Maybe there's a lesson in that for us. Maybe...

MadSnapper n Beau said...

Bev,I wondered where you were this week, now I know.
This morning while we had our first cup of coffee, I said to Bob, we are so blessed to have coffee, in an Air Conditioned house, safe and sound with food and water that comes from our sink. I saw a special last night on the plight of other countries who have no water to drink. We got new faucets in kitchen and both bathrooms and I was so happy to see that water flowing again. That is what made me think of how blessed we are here, to have food and water and houses, unlike other countries. thanks for your comments.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

OOPS! senior moment, I forgot to say I love the hymn, I have never heard it before, the words are so true

Jamie Dawn said...

I remember that hymn from the church I was in as little girl. I haven't thought of that hymn for many years.

Take care as you heal from your surgeries. I know you will rest this weekend and rejoice in all your blessings.
We need refuges to help us get through life's storm, and God is our ultimate refuge.
Happy Independence Day, and thank God for America!!

Putz said...

dr. g had a report on my condition...did you know there was a pressure gauge in your brain and when the metalic stuff that is under pressure leaks into your sinus{1 OF 18956 PREOPLE} and you get headackes big time, and of course all that pressure and a metalic taste in you mouth...you have to put a patch over the hole and the patch cannot leak,,,so there

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

I too had wondered where you were this week. Now I too know. Am glad to hear that these "spots" were found now and are now long gone. I had melanoma in 1991 and thankfully caught it at stage 2 and am cancer free now. Living as we do in Florida it's hard to avoid the sun. But thankfully we have someone up above to help guide and protect us from the storms (and let's pray we don't have any to deal with this Hurricane Season!)

Anonymous said...

Beverly, such a beautiful post. You always have a way of getting right to the point of life, and stripping away all pretentions.

When I was discouraged, through a severe storm in my life, my grandmother would call me up with a special verse. She'd say, "Don't forget, Meredith, the Name of the Lord is a strong tower. The righteous run into it and they are safe."

Her words, and your words, are often exactly what is needed to be heard. I hope that your pain is not severe, and that you are soon mended.

srp said...

I meant to thank you for the cute e-card. That is an awesome site. I might just have to subscribe to that one and maybe get rid of my Blue Mountain one. Have a great weekend.

Shammickite said...

I wish you health and serenity as you recover from your surgeries. We are so lucky to be living where we do, safe and secure from storms, and wars, and with comfort and convenience surrounding us. And lucky, too, to have the benefits of modern medical science.
Hope your recovery is fast and complete!

L. said...

Sending lots of hugs and healing thoughts your way...

xoxo

KGMom said...

Now you have me humming. This hymn, from my childhood, is not one we sing in my Presbyterian church.
I hope you will heal quickly. How on the earth did you discover the lesion on the top of your head?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder of that song. It further reminds me of the song, "In times like these (we need a Savior)."

glad all the bad spots are gone, the snake is out of the house, and your 4th was not too dull!

Z said...

Good luck with the moles, Beverly..I had 3 more removed the other day....ugh. I'm praying for no problems with the biopsies...again!

Wonderful hymn, that's for sure..thanks for the reminder.