Yes, it's cold everywhere, isn't it. It has been cold enough to snow here, but hasn't quite done it yet. I do feel sorry for people who plan for a week's vacation in Florida expecting sunny skies and warm weather. We certainly are not having warm weather, and some days haven't been sunny. Friends on Facebook have said, "If it's going to be this cold, why doesn't it snow?" And I have to admit that I agree with that one.
Yesterday drivers were being warned of icy conditions. There are no signs in Florida that warn of bridges freezing over before the roadways.
Did you read about the iguanas falling out of trees in south Florida? Too cold.
These cold days take me back 33 years to the winter of 1977. We had an extreme winter that year too. I was pregnant with my daughter, Sarah. We had moved into our new home in August. At Christmas, we had two big Christmas open houses, and when I went to the doctor the next day, he announced that I would be going to the hospital because my blood pressure was unusually high. I spent a few days there and then went home to stay in bed until she was born.
One morning I woke up, and the house was unusually cold. I checked the thermostat, and it was down in the 50's. No electricity. The power company was doing rolling blackouts throughout its area. With all the building and development that has gone on since then, the utility must have kept up with the growth because I haven't read of any outages. Schools were closed for a couple of days because they could not adequately heat the buildings.
Anyway, on January 20, the day that Sarah was to be born, Don and I drove to the hospital before 7 in the morning, and as we passed by the bank on Manatee Avenue, the thermometer on the bank read 26 degrees. We had been told in birthing classes that the labor and delivery rooms were kept comfortably cool for the mothers in labor. Well, that day the heat was billowing! And I don't like heat! And to top that off, workers were repaving the bridge that is right next to the hospital. The smell of tar wafted into the room. It was not the most pleasant experience that I have ever had to say the least.
Yesterday one of my friends was at the grocery store and said that there were no strawberries to be had. The farmers have been sprinkling them with water to coat them with ice before the temperatures dip too low. With the cold going on for these many days, it will be interesting to see what happens. We had just bought some a few days before the cold started, and they were oh so good.
Stay warm, wherever you are. Sarah just pointed out an article from our local paper about wintry weather from 1989. It refers to the winter of 1977 as well.
14 comments:
Good post. I hope we don't run out of strawberries here. The Bella loves them with grapes for snack or at lunch.
I'm thinking I may have been at one of those open houses...I remember sitting in the den? And all the good food.
I saw on NBC news all the strawberry farmers had iced their crop in an effort to save them....hope it helps
Stay warm....
The cold Florida weather has been making the local news here. We receive much of our fruit from your State and many are concerned about this consequence. Here's hoping that warm Florida sunshine returns very soon.
a few months ago, i spent a lot of time complaining about the high 90's we suffered through from april through September. now i am complaining about the COLD> we actually have a little patch of ice in the back yard today. 28 is way, way to cold for FL. i saw on the news that the kumquat citrus farmer lost half his crop and is laying off 50 employees. he had picked half the other half is gone. cold is not good for FL. enjoyed the Sarah story
I've been hearing about the cold Florida weather Bev. As a matter of fact my daughter and her family just left on Saturday for a trip to FL for a few days at Disney World. I hope they have a great time. They are going with some friends of theirs (another family). My son-in-law ran in a marathon yesterday morning, and they are stopping to see my mother-in-law tomorrow; but other than that....it's mostly a Disney World trip. I hope it's at least sunny for them. One thing I know...it's a lot warmer than where I am. Stay warm Bev... ~Joy
We have been having dire warnings about the cost of fresh produce and orange juice will be sky-high after all the cold frosty weather down your way! I just can't imagine all you poor Floridians freezing in the dark.... that's usually our fate up here in the Great White North! It's been very cold here too, and I find it extremely unpleasant, but we are used to it, and we have the boots, scarves, gloves and coats to cope with it!
Good luck.... stay as warm as possible!
It must be difficult to drive in the icy conditions when you usually don't get ice. Hope the fruit is saved.
Here, in Australia, where the seasons are upsidedown, it's beautifully warm, but we're not having a good summer. Lots of rain, which is great for the farms but not the holiday-makers.
Yes, it seems to be colder here in Chesapeake than it is all around us.. right now they say it is 25 degrees. I hope it warms up more tomorrow... or rather today... since I have some flowerbed work that won't wait.
I guess it is now officially my birthday anniversary..... although I wasn't really born until the afternoon. I will hang on to this age as LONG as possible! HA!
What a cute flower girl you have there!!!!
I know this is a silly question, but...if you don't like heat, why do you live in Florida??
Hi Beverly, I have a friend who lives in Port St Lucie Fl. She has been complaining about the "cold" weather too. But she thinks 40 degrees is cold. I told her last week if it got up to 40 I was going to lay out in the sun! I pray the fruit was saved . I LOVE the oranges and strawberries from FL. They are much better than the ones from CA.
Well, Happy Birthday to dear Sarah! If she was born on the 20th, that's my grandson's birthday too. On Wednesday, he will be one year old!
I absolutely love your header. Ella is such a sweetie!
Sounds like 1977 was REAL COLD!! House temp in the 50's?? Yikes!
Yes, I did hear about the iguanas falling out of trees and the farmers putting water on the strawberries. Strange... freezing strawberries to stop them freezing. I hope it works.
The Bella loves them with grapes for snack or at lunch.
Work from home India
Post a Comment