Sunday, March 07, 2010

You Can't Stop Me Now!

I flew up to Virginia last week to spend a few days with Ella and her parents. When they were in Florida, I was getting ready for our Sweet Adelines show and feeling lousy, just having been diagnosed with shingles. After the show, we went to Disney World. While they were in the park, I was languishing in bed. I did manage to resurrect myself to go to breakfast with them at Chef Mickey's. And then they were gone.
David mentioned that Ella was outgrowing her little bike, so, of course, I said that we should get a bigger one, so off to T*rgt we went and found a "princess" bike. It didn't take long for David to put it together, and soon Ella was off. Doesn't she look proud!
I love the determination on her face as she rides. There isn't much stopping her.
How old were you when you got your first two-wheeler. I owned one. It was a 26 inch, super-duper Schwinn that my parents got for me when I was eight for Christmas. I took many spills as I learned to ride, but that bike served me well for many years.
Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

podso said...

I can sense your heart, love, and excitement. A beautiful bike for a beautiful little girl. And yes she looks determined and proud. She'll be rid of those training wheels in no time. Have fun!

amarkonmywall said...

She's so grown-up this Spring! Not much hint at all of baby Ella. She's delightful.

jel said...

she looks like she loves it!

i was a teenager when I got my first bike!


hope ya are felling better,

I have had the shingles, and they are no fun! I take B12 pills and a shot , and it helped me some

huggs

Wendy said...

She is growing up! And looking so sweet on that new bike. My first bike was one that my brother had outgrow. My father had to saw off the metal cross-bar that boys bikes come with, so I could ride it. It must have been an ugly sight, but I was so proud of it!

Hope you're feeling better.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh, my, what a wonderful surprise!! I'm sure you saw the similar bike on my blog that we got Anne for Christmas. But seeing these pictures was just so startling, because I can see that she's really a big girl now and I need to think of her that way. I think it's a rule of life that a grandma gets the grandchildren the first bikes. Phil never had a grandmother, so Ella is extremly blessed. And so are you, to be a pert of this wonderful first.

Beverly said...

They are so cute when they start riding their bikes!

kenju said...

I swear she looks more like you each day!

My first 2 wheeler came when I was about 7-8, and I have the scars to prove it!

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

I can't believe how quickly she is growing. Oh Ella it seems like only moments ago you were just a baby. Hope you are feeling better Beverly!

Shammickite said...

Only another 13 or 14 years to go and she'll be wanting a car!!!!

Joy Des Jardins said...

That bike is wonderful...and Ella looks pretty darn happy on it. How sweet these pictures are, and YES, she looks very determined...and adorable.

You're such a good Grandma Bev... Love, Joy

Z said...

ugh. shingles....I'm so sorry, Bev...feel better SOON.
I hope you caught it early as there are REALLY good drugs for that if it's caught in the knick...thing is, it's hard to recognize if you've not had them before, from what I hear. Good luck.

Ella is wonderful...she looks so happy and proud of her new bike!
God bless that little sweetheart!!

Feel better..xxx

MadSnapper n Beau said...

I love that determined look! I was 8 when i got my first and only bike. daddy had no money, so i prayed every night for a bike, he told someone I was praying for one, and they told someone that sold him one for 8 dollars, it was used and way to big for me, but I loved it. they did not have pint sized bikes back then. love this post, Bev

Froggymama said...

Hope you're feeling better soon! Ella is simply gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

I remember learning to ride my first bike, which was also a Scwinn, and my dear father holding me up. This will be an experience she'll always remember with you! And, I don't think Disney is any fun without a child in tow.

srp said...

This so reminded me of Nyssa and her bike... the pom-poms or whatever they call them now... the streamers blowing in the wind... and the amazing look of satisfaction. Just wait until her training wheels come off.

JeanMac said...

Oh my gosh! She's getting so big and I love the look of determination. Hope you are getting some relief from the shingles.Love Jean

Joy Des Jardins said...

Just stopping by to tell you I have given you an award Bev...and so HAPPY to do it. Please stop by my place and pick it up...it's well-deserved. Love, Joy