Monday, May 17, 2010

Carmi's theme--Edible!

Meanwhile, back in Savannah at the end of our day of sightseeing, we had reservations for dinner at "Lady and Sons," Paula Deen's restaurant.  Someone said to me that they were surprised that it wasn't fancier, but since it is in the historic district, it must be compatible with its surroundings.

We were escorted downstairs where we had our own room.  When we were seated, we were served a biscuit and a hoecake.  When our turn came to go to the buffet, we certainly had plenty of choices for our dinner.
There were three meats on the buffet - fried chicken, barbecued ribs, and pork.  The hot sides were rice, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, collard greens, cooked cabbage, black-eyed peas, corn, and macaroni and cheese.  I'm sure I've probably left something out.  Alongside the main buffet was a salad bar. 
After our dinner, we were offered a choice of peach cobbler, banana pudding, or some of Paula's gooey butter cake.  I chose the banana pudding.  One of the ladies on our tour said that her son had gone there and when he read the menu outside, he chose not to go because he didn't like any of that southern cooking.


A friend of mine who visited Savannah not too long ago said to me, "Beverly, it was no better than anything we cook at home."  That's what it was, plain Southern cooking, and it tasted mighty fine to me.
When you're finished eating dinner here, you need to take a walk or something, you will surely be full.  It certainly isn't hard to eat too much.

For more of the "edible" theme, visit Carmi's place.  There will be links to other "edible" posts in the comment section.

11 comments:

Shammickite said...

Oh yes, I think I would like to eat at that restaurant! I'm not a huge meat-eater, but even just the veggies sound delicious, especially with my favourite... macaroni cheese!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I've been waiting for this post! Of course I had to click on the food pictures, and I'm hungry now! You got some really good shots of the whole experience, a good variety. Did I tell you they are building an Olive Garden in Charlottesville? Supposed to be open this fall, somewhere near Sabrina's office and Barracks Road.

photowannabe said...

Seems to me "when in Rome" You are in the South why wouldn't the menu at Paula Deens be southern cooking? People are so interesting....
It all sounds good to me and I think it would be fun to eat at her restaurant.
When we were in New Orleans we ate at Emeril's. Pretty darn good food!

Granny Annie said...

I'm jealous. Those are great food selections for me anywhere, anytime.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

when people travel to Paris, they eat French food, to Italy and eat Italian, She is in the deep, south where we were all raised on this type cooking. my mother cooked just like she does and that is the thing, mother is gone and the younger people buy fast food or frozen and this type food is becoming a lost art. Since there is standing room only there are a lot of people who love her cooking. the ones that skip it sure miss out. looks like you had a wonderful time in my hometown.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

I fogot to say I like the new design of your blog and really like the color scheme. is this custom? i have not seen a template like this one in the choices.

From the Kitchen said...

Beverly: Thanks for stopping by this morning. I only read less than 50 pages of the first "Mitford" book and was bored beyond belief. But, I was encouraged to try and again. Within those pages, I found relatives, friends, acquaintances, etc. It was as if Jan had captured the essence of a part of my life. I couldn't put them down either!

I'm "going with you to Savannah" but first I have to eat because the photos are driving me to distraction!

Best,
Bonnie

carmilevy said...

You said it so well: The best food is often the simplest.

I think I need to spend more time in the south :)

kenju said...

We haven't been there in 20 years or more - and I don't remember if her restaurant was there back then. I'd surely have eaten there if it was!

srp said...

I think that is why my mom loves Paula Deen so much... her food is scrumptious and yet simple. And don't forget the southern comfort.... almost everything she cooks is comfort food... these days we could use that a bit more.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Those photos hint at a superabundance of tasty food!

Summer School: Day 1