Saturday, June 05, 2010

Oh my aching back!

I started to write this post a couple of weeks ago and the picture and title were as far as I got.  I can not help wondering what is going through this dear woman's mind.  Did she lose her home in the earthquake?  Did she lose family?  Is she wondering where her next meal  might be coming from?  Will she still be sleeping in a tent when the heavy rains or hurricanes come?  Many, many heavy thoughts.

When I think of her and many like her, my aches and pains seem so minor.  After I came home from Virginia in May, I started back to the gym and when I was finishing one set of exercises, I felt something slip in my lower back.  Ouch!  The pain from my back has gone down into my left leg, and I'm having a terrible time sleeping at night.  Along with that the shingles pain has not gone away.  Pain does affect one's daily life, but I'm glad it is at least temporary.  One of these day it will be gone...once I find the correct treatment.

I'm reminded of the old country preacher who stood in his pulpit and began speaking, "I'm glad it came to pass and not to stay."  That's what I'm hanging on to here. 

On a happier note, a dear friend of mine that I worked with in Haiti is relocating here.  Out east there is a community for retired missionaries, and she is going to move in there.  There are several other families living there too, so she will have lots of friends there.  Winters in New York were getting very hard for her, so she's looking forward to mild winters.  She didn't even seem to mind the heat the other day when I picked her up at the airport.  I'm thrilled she's going to be here close by.


16 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh, I was hoping you'd be a bit better by now. But I've been told that Prednisone takes about three or four days to kick in.

jel said...

sorry your down in your back, hope ya are feeling better soon,


am glad that your friend will be near by!


huggs

podso said...

Gee Bev, sorry the shingles pain is still there, and the new back/let pain. Take it easy.

That's a great photo--she does have a lot of emotion on her face and it looks rather bleak. IT does make one wonder.

Hope you feel better soon...

kenju said...

Sorry about the sciatica. I have been fighting it for over a year now, so I know how it feels. Be sure to sleep with a pillow between your knees when you are on your side.

I'm glad your friend will be nearby.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

bev, i can relate to the pain, been having back problems, not like yours, i did nothing, i think it is Arthur or one of his brothers.
what a wonderful photo of her, she is lovely to look at and the saddness pours from the picture. i have been thinking of them a lot the past few days because of hurrican season. i like the quote about coming to pass and not stay. hope you feel better soon and I know you are happy to have a friend out at the village. florida weather will be a snap for her after Haiti. the village is a great place, we had several in our church a few years ago that lived there.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Beverly
Sorry to hear about the back pain -- hope you are doing better.

Wonderful news about your missionary friend moving nearby!

KGMom said...

Sciatica is the worst pain in the . . .back (tee hee, sometimes it's just a shade lower than the back).

I agree the expression on the face of the woman in the photo makes you wonder--what is her story. Such a world weary look.

photowannabe said...

So sorry to hear that you are in such pain. I hope you get the right treatment quickly and the Shingles thing is over for you too. I say enough already!!
Very heart tugging picture. I have it so good. A good reminder about Haiti and a reminder for me to quite whining....

Z said...

sorry to hear about the pain, Beverly, I hope it's gone, and SOON. Wonderful to hear about your friend's move......
all the best xxx

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear of your back problems Beverly. I too have had my fair share of these issues over the years. I so understand what you are going through.. especially the pain down the leg at night. I am hoping you are able to find the right pain control options soon. Physiotherapy seemed to work the best for me. That and time.

So happy that your friend will be close by. Very nice for the both of you.

srp said...

My folks have been advised to get the shingles vaccine they have out now. I think they will be wise to do so.
That back pain shooting into the leg sounds like the sciatic nerve being pinched. Perhaps some form of physical therapy would help.... after an x-ray to make sure there isn't a disc problem.

Get better soon!!!!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Is relief finding you? Hope so!

Wendy said...

Good for you going to the gym. I keep thinking about it but doing nothing. I hope your pain goes soon.

Love that pic and I do understand your empathy with that poor woman.
Sending hugs,

Joy Des Jardins said...

Gosh we're always fighting something aren't we Bev? I think I've just recently irritated my sciatic nerve too; but not so much my back as the left side of my butt. It's been bothering me a few days now. I'm using heat and trying not to overdo...trying to be my own therapist. I hope your back feels better very soon sweetie...it can really drive you to distraction. Good luck sweetie... Hugs, Joy

Shammickite said...

Back pain is so horrible, it seems to rule your life when you have it! I'm walking a little crookedly today, as I strained something in my back when I was raking the catalpa beans off my driveway!
Thank you for your good wishes to our little Callum, he is much better and was sent home from the hospital today.

JeanMac said...

Your post is thought provoking. Sorry about your pain, hope you get over it soon. yeah for having a friend close by - for both of you!