Saturday, July 10, 2010

This and That

A week ago we had four days of rain here in Florida, not a harsh rain, but gentle, constant.  I was sitting in the comfort of my home listening to the rain on the roof and enjoying it so.  And then my mind went to the people in Haiti who are still living in tents, even as the rainy season begins.  One can only pray and hope that a hurricane doesn't strike the country this year.

I splurged a week or so ago and bought a K*ndle.  I'm enjoying it so much.  One of the things that I'm trying out is one of the local newspapers.  As I was reading it this morning, there was an article about Haiti and an interview with W*clef Jean,  He left the poverty of Haiti years ago and has become wealthy as a musician here in the States.  He went to Haiti after the earthquake and "helped dig a dead friend out of the rubble.  He loaded bodies onto trucks.  He carried a 15-year-old girl whose ankles were crushed to a hospital, where her feet were amputated. 'What she said to me after the surgery defines the Haitian spirit for me', he said. She opened her eyes and asked, 'Can you help me go to school?'"

We shift our priorities all too soon.  Now all the media talks about the oil spill.  Haiti is a passing thought.
********************************
Yesterday I had a call from someone looking for my husband to do electrical work.  That hasn't happened in a long time.  I was talking about Don to someone the other day and talked about his work was truly a calling to him.  I remember once hearing Chuck Sw*ndoll speaking about being ordained to do your work.  Don was truly an ordained electrician.  He did the work and then took the time to listen to peoples' heartaches and joys.

I read this quote in an e-mail newsletter the other day and it really hit home to me.  "If it falls your lot to be a street sweeper, sweep streets like Michelangelo painted pictures, like Shakespeare wrote poetry, like Beethoven composed music; sweep streets so well that all the host of Heaven and Earth will have to pause and say, Here lived a great sweeper, who swept his job well." -Martin Luther King, Jr.
********************************
Some of you have asked about my back.  I had an MRI done, and it showed some bulging discs and severe stenosis...so.  I'm still having therapy.  I've told some folks that it must be getting better because I'm noticing the shingles pain again.  The back and leg pain had taken over before.  I did read about a new patch for the PHN (postherpetic neuralgia) I seem to be among the one-third of patients who develop this.  I'm going to look into it.  There is one doctor here in town who works with it.  We'll see. 

Until the next time I manage to post something...

18 comments:

kenju said...

I'm so sorry about the PHN, Beverly. Mine lasted about 6 months, so I hope yours leaves soon. Ditto on the back pain - I have some of that too, although my left hip is the culprit more often.

I really like that MLK quote!!

srp said...

I am encouraging my parents to get the shingles vaccine... they really do not need that on top of an already tenuous health situation. I do hope your therapy will help you feel great.

It is supposed to rain today, heavy showers they said.. but it seems to be staying to the north and south of us. Just a sprinkle so far.

Island Rider said...

I really like that MLK quote. It goes with a post I wrote earlier this week on leadership. Regarding Hait, yes we have forgotten too soon. I heard on TV that the Red Cross has only spent 1/3 of the money that was raised for Haiti. I can't help but think youngest son's problems getting a job might be because he is supposed to be in Haiti right now.

Z said...

I'm so sorry to hear you've not been well, Beverly....all the best with all of that. Let us know.

As for the post below about your son on TV, SO SO CUTE! But, what was he being interviewed about? COOL!

I had a call for my husband yesterday, the first in many months....ouch.
xxx Thinking of you and praying for your health . Z

Ginny Hartzler said...

It's good to see you posting, I hope that means you are feeling a bit better today. You are right about Haiti, the news is only for current, new disasters. Once the press have milked it for all it's worth, they are done with it.

jel said...

came by to let ya know I was thinking about ya! huggs

podso said...

Beautiful this and that post, Bev. Glad the back is improving, but sorry the reason you can tell that is the shingles post pain is more evident. May you soon get relief...

Joy Des Jardins said...

It looks like you, Judy and I have something in common. My lower back and left hip have been really acting up lately. I think it's a muscle that is constricting my sciatic nerve. The last couple of days have really been uncomfortable. I'm glad you're having therapy for your PHN Bev...and I hope you feel back to normal very soon sweetie...whatever normal is. Hugs, Joy

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Beverly
I am sorry you are still experiencing PHN. Mine went on for months and months, but it did eventually subside, and now it is nonexistent. I pray yours will be too soon.
Yes, all things "newsworthy" goes in cycles, and sad to think that it would take more devastation for Haiti to again be in the MSM.
I fear that the rest of the world is right -- the US loses sight of too many issues and moves on.
Very good MLK quote.
Feel better.
Let's hope we continue to have clear skies and no storms!

MadSnapper n Beau said...

welcome back to bloggin land. your header is totaly awesome, wonderful, spectacular and just plain super duper great. can you tell i love it? is it framed and hanging, it should be

Beverly said...

I do hope your pain eases soon. I cannot imagine the shingles pain, I have heard it is not too much fun...
I am afraid of the vaccine, really unsure....
I saw NBC report about Haiti, and was so upset that some of the organizations are not sending money. Red Cross has spent 1/3, as mentioned above, but, are still there helping....
See you on fb.... :)

Granny Annie said...

My sis and my sil have Kindles. I can't be positive that I want one. I listen to book CDs on a portable player and headphones while I work and I love that but never seem to have time to sit down with a book or Kindle.

Sorry to learn that you are not well. Bless your heart. Hope you get some relief soon.

photowannabe said...

It upsets me to read about the corruption and hard earned money not getting where its supposed to go. Haiti needs to rebuild and get stronger.
Bev, I hope your aches and pains ease up soon. Its been far too long.
Sue

From the Kitchen said...

Hope your healing is continuing! Just read back a post and love the one about your cute little granddaughter!
Alas, how the world can soon forget one tragedy while moving to the next.

Best,
Bonnie

Putz said...

my boy has three cracks in his vertibrae>>>pray for him bev>>>thanks the putz>>>oh by the way you still have the cutest grand of anyone i know

amarkonmywall said...

Thinking of you and hoping you feel significantly better on all fronts soon. Missing Florida- I'll be back next week to teach one week of camp at Morean and I'm pretty sure that will be a full dose of bay area weather for a while.

Shammickite said...

I'm sending you my best healing wishes to return your back into working shape.... it seems that these things take lots of time and rest.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

You're right, Beverly: Haiti has become a passing thought. I hardly ever hear or read anything about that country anymore. It's as though everything is "back to normal." In reality, it will take years--maybe decades--for even a semblance of normalcy to return to that devastated country.