So I went to California to stay for a week with a couple that I had never met. When I told people that I was doing this, they looked at me, wondering if I was in my right mind. I even ended up on someone's prayer list, praying for my safety while I was gone. I think they thought I might be meeting danger somewhere.
I guess it was a little crazy. What if we didn't hit it off? It could have been a very long week. Sue is a blogger. She has a wonderful photo blog, Photowannabe, and that is where I first met her. I don't know how I ended up there, but the first photos of hers that I saw were from Haiti. I just knew they had to be. And you all know I have a deep love for that country, having lived there for three and a half years, teaching missionary kids, before I was married.
We have commented on each other's blogs and known that we were both very interested in missions and just seemed to have so many things in common. So one night when I was on Face Book, I sent her a message, asking it it might be possible to get together. Reservations were made, and off I flew to California.
Dave grew up in San Francisco, so he took great delight in being my tour guide. If you go down a few posts, you can read abut that day trip. We also went to Lake Tahoe one day and then in to Sacramento one day for lunch.
Sue and I just talked and talked and talked. And we found that we do indeed have so many things in common. We're just sorry that our paths didn't cross earlier.
One other plus of the trip was being able to worship with them at their church. What a wonderful experience that was. There were only about 3,000 in the service, and they have five services. Sue and Dave host a small group in their home each week. I missed out on that, but I know I would have loved that too.
If you go to this post on Sue's blog, you can see what she wrote about us. Scroll down near the end of the post. The photo was taken when we were watching the salmon swimming upstream.
Well, they weren't axe murderers after all...just two very wonderful new friends.

11 comments:
Whew !!!
I'm glad we didn't turn out to be axe murders...HaHa
I think we turned out to be SISTERS instead.
It was a precious time Bev and I can only wish we lived closer.
We would definitely talk and talk and talk....laugh alot too.
Great post.
Sue
How funny! I saw the picture on her blog and thought it was the best picture of you that I've ever seen. I will probably be meeting yet another blog friend later this month, I'll hide the sharp knives!
so glad you had a good time and they were all they seemed to be on blog land. i have several blog friends that i feel i know completley and would like to meet. i am just chicken to travel like you do. can't fly, get sick and scared to drive long distances. oh well, at leas there are some brave people and we can share your travels.
I had to laugh at the axe murderers - as you know, my daughter calls all the bloggers that!! I think it is great that (as I said to your friend) you offered and she agreed - and thus blooms a lifelong friendship!!
My husband and sons also worry and use the same phrase, ax murderers. Husband was just talking aboaut it the other day to some friends and also used the word, "reckless" to describe my "Internet activity" and my "Internet friends." I am such a goodie two shoes that it kind of gives me a rebellious thrill to think I might be considered "reckless"!
I think it was fabulous that you could make the trip. You were soooo close to where Nyssa is. She did inform me this week that she will not be staying out west. She is an east coast girl at heart... but not for the reasons you would expect. Her call was lamenting the fact that there were no tornados or hurricanes or nor'easters.... really not much weather but heat, dry, and mountain snow. Every time a system cranks up here, she calls to check on the specifics.
You've got to watch out for those innocent looking folks! However, it sounds like you made a good contact and had a great time.
I'm planning to meet up with Ginny and Phil (and maybe you?) later this month. Hmmm, should I be concerned since all of you look just like the nice people next door!!
Best,
Bonnie
what a wonderful getting acquainted time ... glad it all turned out well
I love the post title! Great that you both met. What a cool story!
I'm glad to hear that they weren't
I can sleep better now! :)
Way to go Beverly. This sounds like such a good thing. And the making of a new friend is always precious.
Post a Comment