Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Playing Tourist

This past weekend I was host to my dear friend, Tiina, from Estonia.  She was longing for some sunshine after a long, very cold winter in her homeland.  Knowing how she loves gardening, we took a morning to visit Selby Gardens in Sarasota.
Upon entering the gardens, we passed though an area which had many of the blooming plants.  There were beautiful orchids in abundance, as well as many other flowering plants.
This anthurium is beautiful in its simplicity.  I was amazed at is size.
We strolled along the walk and came upon this huge banyan tree.  This is one tree you wouldn't want to have growing in your yard.  As it grows, roots descend from the branches and grow into the ground to give support to the ever-spreading tree.  On this day, this tree provided fun hiding places to some children who were there with their parents.
 
I don't know the name of this tree, but it wouldn't work well in your yard either.  I love how the roots grow out, again giving support to the tree.  It reminds me of Psalm 1.  The psalmist writes that the man who delights in the Lord and in his Word will be like a tree planted by streams of water...a tree that yields its fruit in season, whose leaf does not wither, and whatever he does shall prosper.
After our visit to the gardens, we drove up Longboat Key, then up to Bradenton Beach where we had a yummy lunch at the Beach House.  We ended our day by going to see The King's Speech.

Playing tourist with Tiina reminded me of the wonderful week I spent with my new friends in California.  They seemed to revel in showing me places that were dear to them in their state.  I won't forget that trip for a long time, and I hope Tiina will take home many fond memories from her days here in Florida this past week.

11 comments:

Fred Alton said...

What a fun host you are, Beverly! It's fun for you too, I know, but you were very considerate of your visitor to take her to these wonderful places.

podso said...

Your photos, as always, are beautiful. Sounds like you all had a wonderful time.

S. Etole said...

Looks like a wonderful place to go.

kenju said...

I wish I'd been there, Beverly. I love the flowers, of course, and banyan trees too. There is one in Hawaii that covers almost a square block. I saw those other trees in Costa Rica, but I don't remember the name of them.

photowannabe said...

This looks like a fascinating place to visit. I'm so glad you had a good time with your friend.
I know we had a wonderful time showing you our bit of the world.
Friends forever!!

MadSnapper n Beau said...

each time i go there, i see something new, and always something beautiful. i love all these trees and all the ones they have. the one you did not know is a fig tree, the one with the giant roots.

Joy Des Jardins said...

What a nice time you showed your friend Bev..and oh, how I love your flower pics. What a terrific place...take care sweetie. ~Joy

kc bob said...

Methinks you have the gift of hospitality. Tiina probably thinks that too.

srp said...

I love the roots on that second tree... so intertwined like vessels... amazing. And those flowers at the bottom... gorgeous. How did you like the movie?

Infidel Rooster said...

I think I possibly placed the respective text with the incorrect photos, but just in case, the other tree with the dense, wide ranging base root system is a banyan as well. Just older than the one you identified correctly prior to that one. If indeed that was the tree you meant you couldn't identify.

And though I myself am not religious or spiritual, I have fond memories of the Psalm you quote, as my mother sang it to me as a child. For a time I thought it went, "...my leaves will never fade or whither, and everything I touch, shall perspire". She couldn't stop laughing as she explained that things were not sweating, but thriving!

Nice photos BTW.

JeanMac said...

Happy Easter. Sounds like a great time. I enjoyed the Kings Speech.