I just came from the retina specialist's office. In 1999, I had quite a large hemorrhage in my right eye, which impaired my vision. Wet macular degeneration they call it. I was really bummed when that happened. My daughter was just graduating from college; in fact, the weekend that we went for her graduation, I had another bleed. The first time that it happened it was so large that he couldn't really tell exactly where it was originating and to laser it would take my vision. It finally began to dry up, and then came the second one on the graduation weekend. That time he was able to laser it.
I've been seeing him every six months since then, relying on my left eye for good vision. Last year, he began to see some changes and had me start coming every four months. I went today, and after taking some fancy pictures found three bleeds in my left eye (the good eye). So I got zapped in those three places. Fortunately, so far, it hasn't impaired my vision. Thank the Lord.
way back in '99, he also told me I have dry macular degeneration. I told him I wasn't' old enough for that. He looked at my birthday and said, yes, that's so...but you have it. And they call it "age related."
When I took the trip to Nashville on the bus with all Those senior citizens, there was the cutest little lady on the trip. She used a walker when she was off the bus, but on the bus, she held on to the seats and shuffled like a penguin. We were sitting at a table in a restaurant, talking about driving and this and that. Someone asked her if she drove. She said, "Oh no, I have macular degeneration. At least I'll never go totally blind." She said all this with a smile on her face. I hope I can keep a smile like that when the day comes.
I bought a new car in November 2005. Although my other car was going on 10 years old, I really didn't need a new one, but I rationalized that the day would come when I would not be able to drive, so I wanted to enjoy a new one while I could still see!
And I am enjoying it, and I hope that I can for a long time.
4 comments:
I know we all wonder what we would do without our sight. So many things of beauty to see around us. But, I know that if I were to lose sight, God provides beauty in sounds and touch that I might miss now. I do hope you can enjoy your new car and all the beauty of nature for years to come.
I have gone deaf on my right side. I have a ringing fullness in that ear now. The doctor doesn't know why. It happened quite a few years ago when I was only in my 30's. Going through any type of change is a struggle, but we adapt. And it's not as bad as one can imagine, at least it helps that I can't hear my husband "sing" to me at night. LOL
Those of us with good sight don't realize how blessed we are, until we read a story like yours.I wish you well.
Oh Beverly, I understand how scary this all is. As you know, my Mom also suffers from Wet Macular Degeneration. Next week she is having her second ocular injection of Avastin. Apparently the tests have shown improvement after the frist one. Is this an option for you? The encouraging thing is there is a tremendous amount of research being done in this area. I wish you all the best with your sight.
Post a Comment