Monday, May 01, 2006

Wa-hoo! We did it!


Well, we didn't quite win first place, but our scores improved by about 70 points. We are now a "B" chorus, instead of a "C". We placed second in the med-size choruses and sixth overall, which in our region 9, is very good. The chorus has worked long and hard to achieve. We were feeling very good about ourselves when the competition was over.

The picture at the top of the post is from our show this year. We were "The Sweethearts of the Shimmering Shawls." Our shows are always fun and draw lots of folks. The chorus sings; we have a couple of quartets from within the group, and then we always have a guest quartet come to entertain. This year we had the Humdingers. They work at one of the main attractions in the Orlando area and go by a different name there.

Singing barbershop is lots of fun. As you probably know, or may not know, all the singing is done a cappella. There are four parts: tenor, lead, baritone, and bass. The lead sings the second line of notes in the treble clef, the tenor, the top line. Baritone is the top line in the bass clef, and bass, obviously, is the bottom line of notes. All the music is memorized and is usually choreographed.

Right now, I'm singing baritone. Our part has been described by one as the chameleon of the chorus. We fit it wherever needed to fill the chord. (That's probably not a correct description, but I'm not really a musician.) I may switch to tenor, since I've become part of a quartet, and tenor is the part that was missing.

I sang in Sweet Adelines when my children were in elementary school; then I got sick, and the kids moved on to junior high, and my time was taken up with them. After my husband died (I promise not to talk about that too much) one of the ladies asked me how I was doing, and I made the comment that my days were pretty much as they had been before, but evenings got long. She said to me, "I know just the place for you." My response was that I had been thinking about that very thing, so I made the decision to join again. That has probably been on the best things I've done since losing Don.

I'll have to say, though, that learning the music after an absence of ten years is not as easy as it was back then...but I guess it is good exercise for the brain.

If you ever have the chance to hear a barbershop group sing, by all means, go. You'll be glad you did.

6 comments:

jel said...

Congats Beverly!
cool pic.
I'm glad that you have this group, to keep you busy. :)

take care and God bless

Elisabeth said...

Beverly - Great job with the chorus (by the way, have you seen the French film with that title, The Chorus, it is quite good.)
I am answering your question here, rather than on my blog. I teach at Clarion University of Pennsylania, which, like IUP, is part of the PA State System of Higher Education. I have been there for the past 7 1/2 years.

srp said...

What a colorful group of ladies. Congratulations!
We went to see a play out at the beach one summer that had a story line centering on a barbershop quartet. The music was great.
My brother sang in a quartet that travelled in the summer while he was in college. Can't remember what their name was.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

You look like you are having such fun!

srp said...

Beverly,
It is the "Read more" at the bottom of the post with the arrows that you click to get to the full page. I wasn't very clear about that. Sorry.

Gordon said...

I cut my teeth on four-part harmony and still love it. I'm glad you have the opportunity to use to your ability.

God bless.