Thursday, December 07, 2006

An act of kindness


While I was still teaching, I worked with several young women who were wonderful teachers and wonderful people. When one of those ladies had her first babies, she became a stay at home mom, although she was still working. She had earned her doctorate in education and became a supervisor of student teachers here in the county.

Time passed, and she gave birth to her second child, a little girl, just about the same time that my husband was taken in an accident. In fact, her baby was just a few days old when she came to the visitation before Don's memorial service.

A few days later I was at Target, sitting at the snack bar, reading a magazine and drinking a coke. Her mother came up to me and told me that it had been determined that her little granddaughter had Down's syndrome.

The little girl is four years old now; she'll be five in April, and she is her parent's delight. Today I opened our local newspaper to the editorial page, and there was a letter there from M's mom. They had been eating at the Cracker Barrel. We have one in town, away from the interstate, and it has become a restaurant where folks get to know one another. While walking through the gift shop (don't you just love the gift shop?), M. had been fascinated by a carousel that was on display. Each time they went, she was drawn to the carousel. And so M's mom went to the lady in charge and asked her that if the carousel was marked down, would they please put it aside for M.

Thanksgiving morning M's mom got a call from Cracker Barrel. The staff there had decided that they would donate the carousel to M. And so M's mom wrote a letter to the editor, thanking Cracker Barrel for the kindness shown and letting the community know about it as well. Well, my tears started to flow, and I cried off and on all day.

I was sitting, working on some papers this afternoon when my phone rang. I looked at the caller i.d., and it was M's mom. I probably had not talked to her or seen her in two years or more, and so we had a wonderful time of catching up.

13 comments:

Susie said...

What a lovely story and that is the sort of wonderful publicity every business would love to have..
Just a loving gift for a child!
:)

srp said...

People do still care.
Hope springs eternal.
What a lovely story, and may those good people reap blessings of joy, peace and love. This should be on the news instead of all the negative garbage.

TJ said...

I loved your post today!! I too love Cracker Barrel and how kind of them to make a precious gal's life so happy...Bev, I've been reading a new blog you might like called Big Blueberry eyes...the little gal has DS and her mom Michelle is an angel...
http://mdbeau.blogspot.com/
:-D

Karen Townsend said...

Yours is a truly touching post, Beverly. The reason for the season, shining through to us all.

Anonymous said...

Reading this post touched me in several ways. I have to say, Beverly, that most of all, I am reminded that it hasn't been all that long since your husband died and that must mean that life's milestones- the birth of that beautiful granddaughter, the Christmas holidays- all have a bittersweet quality for you.
And yet, I never detect self pity in any of your writing. I can't tell you how much I admire you for doing what had to be done- moving forward in your own life.
I'll be thinking about you and wishing you the very best Christmas possible in the days to come.

Anonymous said...

Yes, no matter what the MSM leads us to believe, there are lots of good people in this world. I'm so happy that story turned out so nicely.

And I echo Vicki's thoughts of you and your family, and the sadness that continues to intrude on what should be totally happy times. God bless you all, this Christmas.

kenju said...

What a hopeful story! I have never been in a Cracker Barrel, and this is the second time in 3 days that someone has mentioned their gift shop and food. I guess I should really try one!

Anonymous said...

You are an awesome person and testiment of a Godly Woman. It was good to talk with you. My sister once sent me this: "God is too wise to be mistaken, God is too good to be unkind, So when you can't see his plan, And you can't trace his hand, Trust His Heart". I'm not much for the "sayings" but this one stuck. It is appropriate for many people, many settings, and I think of it often.
MERRY CHRISTMAS BEV
Have fun "Grandma" and enjoy the true "bundle of JOY"
"God Doesn't Make Mistakes":)
With prayers and blessings!MS

AC said...

What I always receive here, Beverly, is evidence of the grace of God. I admire your interests and activities and your efforts to grow friendships. I know when I come here I will leave comforted.

And I know we can talk baseball (3 months until spring training?)

This is a sweet story.

AC said...

What I always receive here, Beverly, is evidence of the grace of God. I admire your interests and activities and your efforts to grow friendships. I know when I come here I will leave comforted.

And I know we can talk baseball (3 months until spring training?)

This is a sweet story.

AC said...

What I always receive here, Beverly, is evidence of the grace of God. I admire your interests and activities and your efforts to grow friendships. I know when I come here I will leave comforted.

And I know we can talk baseball (3 months until spring training?)

This is a sweet story.

Anonymous said...

Your story has me feeling warm and fuzzy. :-). The simple kindness of others can leave such a lasting impression. Makes on feel hopeful.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

This was simply wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing this terrific story with us, and also for being able to catch up with M's Mom.That was great!