Monday, December 11, 2006

Another act of kindness

Do you recognize this golfer? One evening I was at my son's high school basketball game. When I went up into the bleachers to sit down, I happened to sit next to this really good looking man. I didn't know him, but when many of the boys came over to him with golf balls to be autographed, I realized i was sitting next to Paul Azinger. I came home after the game and told my husband that I had been sitting by this really good looking guy, and then I told him who it was. Don said to me, "Well, his wife is a good looker too." He had done electrical work at their house several times and knew them both.

If you follow golf at all, you know that Paul Azinger is a cancer survivor. There is a family whose boys go to Bradenton Christian School, the high school where my children went to school. One of the boys, Anthony has been diagnosed with Fanconi anemia, a rare blood disorder. He is in need of a bone marrow transplant. Many fundraisers have been held for him. A donor is also being sought. His brother was tested; he is a perfect match, but in testing him, it was discovered that he also has this disorder.

Anthony has been receiving transfusions to help him stay healthy, but the transplant is what he needs. Paul Azinger, the golfer, headed up a clinic recently at a golf tournament held for Anthony. He said this about Anthony:
You'll never see a kid with a better attitude than he has, Just the little bit I've talked to him. . . . He should be an inspiration to everyone here. He's an inspiration to me, I'll tell you that.


The following is from an article in the Bradenton Herald about Anthony and his family: "The Negrin family - parents Sergio and Roxanne; brother Sergio Jr., 21, and twins Jonathan and Jordan, 15 - and countless friends throughout the community are optimistic their off-course story will have an even better ending.

Fanconi anemia - which is diagnosed in only 10 to 20 children in the United States each year - prevents the bone marrow from making red blood cells, which carry oxygen through the body. The disease can be fatal without a bone marrow transplant.

Jonathan's bone marrow is a perfect match. But during testing at Cincinnati Children's Hospital, he was found to also have Fanconi anemia, ruling out a transplant.

Doctors have told the family there is a 92 percent chance Jonathan will have bone marrow failure. The Negrins have teamed with Children's Organ Transplant Association to form a trust fund to defray a major portion of the costs not covered by insurance.

Anthony has received 13 blood transfusions during the search for a bone marrow donor. Yet his spirit never fails to lift those around him.

"He tells me, 'Don't worry, Dad. God knows the outcome. He has a purpose for me, that is why he is putting us through this,' " Sergio Negrin said. "He not only brings us to our knees, he shows a strength and inner faith we can all learn from."

Anthony has faith a bone marrow match will be found and counts his blessings every day. To Azinger, who made an inspirational comeback of his own after being diagnosed with lymphoma in his left shoulder, that attitude is worth everything."

Posted December 7, 2006 in the Bradenton Herald sports section.

You can read more about Anthony at caringbridge.com. Visit Anthony Negrin.

6 comments:

TJ said...

Wow...what an inspiration..."Don't worry...God knows the outcome. He has a purpose for me, that is why He is putting me through this"...Wow...thank you Anthony!!
:-D

srp said...

I wonder if they tested the twin too. You would think that Jonathon's twin would have a match to him, unless they are fraternal twins.

Yes, we may not know the purpose here, but rest assured God has a purpose for everything and while He doesn't cause illness, He can use it for his glory.

TJ said...

I asked my Hubby and he said this man is one of his favorite golfers!!
:-D

Anonymous said...

I am humbled when I hear of such courage and faith. Sending prayers their way.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Simply amazing to find such grace in one so young.

Bless him and you.

Anonymous said...

Thank God that he has helped u through this anthony...u r my hero and reaaallly reaaallly hott!!