March in Florida means baseball. It's that time of year when the boys of summer get together and practice for the upcoming baseball season. Bradenton is the winter home of the Pittsburgh Pirates. When I was growing up, the Boston Braves trained here, and later the Milwaukee Braves.
My parents were great baseball fans. My mother said when she married my dad that if she hadn't learned to love baseball, she would have been a baseball widow. Long after my father had died, she remained a fan, following the Atlanta Braves.
It's always fun to go to the games with a friend. There aren't too many young families here this week. It must not be spring break yet. But the old folks are there...those who are loyal to the Pirates, no matter what. It used to be when I went to the games, I recognized the names, back in the days of the Killer B's - Bonds, Bonilla, Bream, Bell and there was one other whose name escapes me. Kevin, the young man in the picture below is back this year. He's the "Whazzup" guy. For several years he was a vendor, and you got used to his familiar cry. He was away for two years and is back this year. Monday when I went to the game, he wasn't hollering out to the crowd. He ran up to where we were sitting and said that someone had complained about his being loud. Can you imagine?! Someone told him to tell his boss that they were going to give up their season tickets if they muffled him, so today he was hollering out again. We all smiled. Some people!




6 comments:
We have a triple A team here but I haven't been in years. My two oldest grandkids might be old enough to go this year. Expect an influx of families from NY Easter week. We just got home and I'm counting down to our next break already. Seventy degrees! I'm so ready to be a snowbird; alas, my bank account is not.
Posts will always come up in the order you write them unless you change the date &/or time. In edit mode, click on the post options link in the bottom left corner.
I'm not a baseball fan, Beverly, but it is great that you reconnected to your old school chum.
When I want to publish posts in order, I do it this way. Say you publish part 1 at 10:00. When you publish part 2, set the time at 9:55, and it will go under the first one. I have to remember to put a note into Part 1, saying that part 2 is below.
I always thought baseball games were suppose to be noisy and fun. Perhaps those people that complained should stay home and watch the games on TV.
Love the sotry and game info. I'm so glad you got together with your longtime friend. That madkes everything better.
Up here in Winnipeg, we have and enjoy the Winnipeg Gold Eyes, an independent minor league baseball team in the Northern League. I believe some of our boys are down in your end of the continent practicing as we speak. :-)
It has been too cold to think about baseball. I must say I enjoy the world series but other than that it makes me sleepy to watch foul ball after foul ball. It is just a bit slow. My ex was not much of a sports fan... more of a nerd.
We have the Charleston "River Dogs" which is a NY Yankees farm team. :)
Post a Comment