Saturday, April 14, 2007

April 15, 1979

Easter Sunday 1979. We thought we had three weeks before the baby would be born. Because I had had my labor induced with Sarah because of toxemia, I had not experienced going into labor, and so on Saturday when I had a few twinges, I did not recognize the beginning of labor. When I woke up on Sunday morning, everything started in motion. We called the doctor, Don took Sarah to my mother's, and we headed to the hospital.

We arrived there around 7:30, and David arrived at 10:59 Easter Sunday morning. What a gift! My friend, who I knew was working that day at her office because her family had an accounting firm and I called her there later sent me a card that said, "Well, this year he's the Easter bunny. From now on he'll be known as 'Form 1040.'"

I had made Sarah's Easter dress that year, so our Easter celebration came a week later when we all went to church together. David wore a newborn outfit that Sunday, and I believe that it was the only Sunday that he wore that outfit.
My little boy with his set of wheels. After this auto he moved up to the General Lee Big Wheel. His sister was pushing him around the pool one day when he went into the pool. He told his daddy, "I went all the way down to the drain."

Where do the years go? They grow up so quickly. The song "Turn around, turn around" speaks of the little girl who grows up and is so quickly gone. They same is true for the son. Four of my blogging friends who have children who are graduating or getting ready to graduate from high school or college. I love reading their posts about their children and think back to those days. I sometimes go to my kids' high school basketball games and when I watch the parents who are there enjoying their children's games, I encourage them to relish every day because it passes so quickly.

David played baseball in Little League and a year in high school. He also played basketball in high school. His team went to state his senior year, and they were state runner- ups in their division. This year his team gathered together in December for a 10-year reunion. This summer his high school class will have its ten-year reunion.

Penn State was David's school of choice. He had gone to a small Christian high school, and he desired to go to a big university, and he didn't want to stay in Florida. So with the help of my mother's gifts to him, a few loans, and some help from mom and dad, off he went to Penn State. There he got a degree in engineering, became involved in a campus ministry, and after graduation worked for three years as a campus minister at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. And, oh yes, during that time, he married Sabrina, whom he met at Penn State while she was there working on her Master's degree.

Now living in Virgina, he is teaching eighth grade math and is the father of Ella, the cute little girl whose picture I keep posting on this blog.

My son has grown from a cute,loving little boy into a young man who has always made his parents proud. He is intelligent, articulate, caring about others. He adores his wife and daughter, but most of all he loves God and seeks to please Him by his life.

Happy birthday to you, David, my wonderful son. I love you so much.

7 comments:

Susie said...

Happy Birthday to David. I agree time flies by very quickly. He sounds like a wonderful son :)

photowannabe said...

This is so touching Beverly. You brought a tear to my eyes. I have two grown sons with families of their own and I am so proud of them too. What you wrote could have been written by me.
Happy Birthday to your son and Blessings on all of you.

kenju said...

Beverly, I can't see any of your photos tonight! Happy Birthday, David, and kiss that sweet Ella for me!

Karen Townsend said...

Happy Birthday to David. You did a great job, Mom, and raised a wonderful son.

srp said...

You are probably on your way up to Virginia... take care.. that wind is really howling out there tonight! Oh, yes and a happy birthday to your wonderful son as well.

If you pass your cursor or pointer over the squares where the picture is supposed to be you will see on the bottom of the window bar the address of the picture.... it says that "local host" address. If you go to the thinking blogger picture you posted and do the same you'll see that it has a "blogger" address. I am sure this is the problem with the pictures.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Beverly

What a lovely posting. It brings tears to my eye. I am sorry I was not able to view the pictures because I am sure they were really wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Wishing David a very Happy Birthday.
Yes.. they grow up far to fast. Thank goodness for grandchildren. :-)