I tried to post a few days ago, and for some reason my photos did not appear as I planned, so hopefully they will today. As most of you know, or maybe you don't, I'm a Florida native. Born in the little town of Lacoochee, hence the name of my blog, my parents moved to Bradenton right after World War II was over in 1945. I like to tell people I was a babe in arms, but I was actually four. Bradenton was a little town, a wonderful place to grow up. Some of us get together for lunch and talk about our carefree days as kids, and how we could go anywhere and be safe. So much as changed as we've progressed. I sometimes wonder if it is really progress.
As I get older, I think back and remember my grandparents' homes and how they were. They other day I stopped in at our historical park here. I hadn't been there for a while, and when I stepped onto the grounds, many memories filled my mind. One of the first stops is the Wiggins general store. When I was a little girl, this was indeed a store in east Bradenton, and upstairs were apartments. My mother and daddy had some friends who lived in one of those apartments and would visit them there.
I think Cracker Barrel must have driven by here and gotten the idea for the front porch of the restaurant, although I know this scene is repeated many times over in the south. A general store was a wonderful meeting place, so much to see and do, and to catch up on conversation with friends.
Anything that one needed could be found in one place, and the person who ran the store probably had a story to tell as he served you there. There was no such thing as prepacked goods here. Wrapped in brown paper, tied with some string, you were soon ready to take your purchases and be on your way.
I googled general store and had fun looking at some of the websites for stores around the country. One that caught my eye is in Floyd, Virginia. I might have to take a trip there when I get to Virginia. Another one that might be on my way sometime is in Dillard, Georgia. That is a fun place to visit on the way to the mountains.
Wikepedia made the statement that the convenience stores have sort of taken the place of the general store. I don't think so.




11 comments:
Beautiful thoughts and photos, Beverly! Your photos show such a peaceful and relaxed mood. I'll just put my feet up and watch a game of checkers, if you don't mind.
I'd like to play checkers there too, Beverly. I seldom go to convenience stores, and the type of store you show here was highly preferable!
You'll be off on your trip soon! Looking forward to the possibility ofmeeting you.
Beverly- these are the most soothing photos around today. I love the long row of porch chairs. And wouldn't love porch sitting with you and Judy and Babette- bet I could take her in checkers.
So, when you go to Virginia, will you visit fellow bloggers?
Nice rainy day here today, yes? the garden is happy.
Good to read you're back, Beverly!
Great post and photos. Very relaxing.
What a beautiful photos! I found you through Mélange's blog and I am glad I did!
What a wonderful town to call home!
Love that porch!
:)
When exactly are you leaving on your trip..? I have a package to get to you.
I don't remember being in any general store like this but Cracker Barrel crossed my mind when I saw those rockers too. I do remember the Woolworth's Five and Dime with the soda fountains and the tall stools... I loved to sit on those with my grandpa.
Beverly I love that porch with all them rocking chairs and several years back they had a general store in Toccoa Ga. [hope spelling is right] that looked similar to this one ? I hope you will be able to find some to visit ? Blessings . Ron.
I love the pictures, Beverly, they give me a "Homey", comfortable feeling. Thanks for sharing.
popped over from Amy's Byway Blessings site...what awesome pics you have! So are you a native Florida Cracker then? I lived in Jacksonville for several years and had a very hard time finding anyone who was born and raised in FL...:)
There is just something about a front porch that is so very inviting.
Post a Comment