Sunday, September 30, 2007

Along the way

I left home around 8:00 yesterday (Saturday) morning. Being a Saturday in the fall, I tuned into the sports stations on the radio and caught updates of the Penn State game. I saw the recap of the game on ESPN last night...those interceptions! Then Georgia Tech was on, then South Carolina. Florida State was starting as I got to my destination for the evening.

As I drove up I-75, there were quite a few cars with Gator paraphernalia headed to Gainesville, and then there were cars on 75 and I-10 headed to Jacksonville for the FSU-Alabama game. The traffic was not as heavy as I would have thought, although it was early in the day, and the games didn't start until evening.

When I left home, I stopped and got a breakfast burrito and coffee to start my trip. I had driven for a little way, and I just wasn't awake, so I stopped and got a diet Coke. That helped a little, but then you know I had to go to the bathroom. My friends would say, "So what else is new?" I stopped at the "arches", went to the bathroom, and as I was walking out, this old lady came toward me. I was really taken aback when I realized I was looking at my reflection in a mirror. I looked like I had seen better days. I guess, in fact, that I have.

I was wearing a Penn State shirt. Stopping at a rest stop, someone said to me, "How are they doing?" I said that the last I heard, they were losing. When I checked into the hotel last night, a gentleman said to me, "They lost today." "I know," I said. Then when I checked my blog, someone had left a comment about the loss. But South Florida won on Friday night. Now that was quite a victory!

When I stepped outdoors this morning, cool, fresh air met me. Unless you live in Florida and experience the heat and humidity for so many months, you can't imagine what a refreshing feeling that is. As I drove on up into Virginia and started driving on I-64, I was sad to see two deer that had been hit and killed. They were small, so I assume they were young. I hate to see that, and I hate to think about the damage to the cars that hit them.

I passed a semi that was pulling a Baby Ruth trailer. That brought back memories. I remember when I was a kid, and candy bars cost a nickel, and they were big, I loved Baby Ruth. I would eat the chocolate and peanuts away from the nougat center and then relish that sweet stuff in my mouth just as long as I could. On the back of the truck was a sign that said, "This truck makes wide mouths." (instead of wide turns) There was a picture of a cross-section of a Baby Ruth candy bar.

I finally arrived at my son's around 1:30. No one is here. He had told me they were going to go to Charlottesville to play disc golf this afternoon. I said that that was quite all right since I was going to be here for a whole month. They didn't have to wait here for me. So...I haven't seen Miss Ella yet, but I imagine she'll be here pretty soon.

Have a good week.

15 comments:

KGMom said...

Boo hoo--another PSU loss.
Well, your consolation will be a great visit with your family.
Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Glad too hear that ya had a safe trip,

have a great time with your family!


jel

Susie said...

So glad you've arrived safely!
xo

Charley said...

Can you tell me how you add the "Verse for the Day" to your blog?

kenju said...

Glad to know you got there, Beverly! Kiss Ella when you see her (for me).

Anonymous said...

Morning Beverly,

Glad you made it ok ! Have fun with Ella and the family so you can make many memoirs for Ella to enjoy revisiting in her later years .

Sorry about PSU but what,s gona be bad for the Gators is next week when LSU beats them also. Kinda like the performances by South Florida though !

One dissapointment with the Nole's but a sweet victory over Bama ?

Blessings.
Ron.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Glad your trip when so smoothly! You can never be too safe on the road these days, especially if you are a woman travelling alone.

I know you are getting your Grammie hugs and kisses!

Have a great month with Little Ella.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you kept yourself entertained on your trip!

Enjoy Miz Ella...but then I don't have to tell you that do I??
:)

Karen Townsend said...

Good to read your trip up went well. Enjoy baby Ella. Lots of spoiling time this visit!

photowannabe said...

Love your travelogue and am so glad you arrive safely. Have a wonerful time being just Grammy.

L. said...

Beverly,
Like a worried parent, I was glad to hear that you had reached your final destination! : )

Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy!

Post lots of pictures...
xoxo

JeanMac said...

Beverly, I had my morning laugh reading about your seeing the woman. When I got my hair cut the other day, the steel gray gown made me look totally gray. Looked like a stranger. Once out in the sun it improved a bit!

Anonymous said...

Beverly, I am glad you had a good trip and a safe one. I know you will great time loving on that grandbaby.

Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed reading of your trip and I am so happy for you. A whole month with sweet little Ella. Have a wonderful time.

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Here is is, Thursday already--I hope you've seen little Miss Ella by now! (Obviously she's taking all your blogging time!)