Just look at that skin. Isn't it wonderful! I visited the dermatologist a couple of weeks ago. I go every four months for a skin check. I decided to go to a new doctor in town who, when she saw my face and arms, said, "Yep, a redhead." Having lived in Florida most of my life and spending three and a half years in the tropics hasn't done me any good as far as skin health goes.
Over the years I've head four or five basal cell carcinomas removed, a couple of squamous cells. I have an appointment when I come back from Virginia to have a couple more squamous cell tumors removed from my arm. I'm right now in the process of using a cream on my arms which brings to the surface all the pre-cancerous places. My arms look like I have a bad case of eczema. I have to continue using that for two more weeks, applying it morning and evening.
She referred me to another dermatologist this morning who did a light treatment on my face. Medication was put all over my face, and then I had a light therapy for fifteen minutes. I don't know the exact type of light that it was. I just know that it burned. Right now my skin feels fairly tight and I look like I have a sunburn. I'm not supposed to go out into the sun for two days.
The practitioner told me that some people do this treatment for cosmetic purposes. While I didn't do it for that reason, I will reap some of those benefits.
I asked my son one day what he remembered of his mimi, my mother. I found it interesting that one of the things that he mentioned was her skin. It was well worn, and I see the skin on my arms becoming much like hers.
The moral of the story here--Don't forget the sunscreen! Wear a hat! Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes! Beauty is only skin deep; what's underneath is what counts.
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. "~Hellen Keller


20 comments:
Excellent post. I have put off seeing a dermatologist and you are motivating me to go. As a blonde who grew up in South Africa and then came to Canada in the 60's when sunbaking was the rage, I have damaged skin too. Both my parents and one brother have had skin cancers removed. The baby is precious!
I visited a dermatologist for the first time last year. I've developed roseaca in my menopause years so she has me on some Italian made creams and told me to buy Neuragena (sp) sunscreen - 50! Works, though. With my thyroid medicine, I'm suppose to stay out of the sun. I am very fair complexioned so I've tried to avoid much sun exposure the older I get.
how is Ella doing?
jel
I love the quote by Hellen Keller. What a smart woman she was.
I too have had a couple of precancerous lesions removed from my face. I too enjoyed just a little too much sun in my younger days. If only we new then, what we know now. Good luck with the various treatments and good for you for taking care of them now.
I understand how you feel about your skin. When I was a teenager I had a mild case of acne. Once I hit 40 I got roscea. When I was 33 I had melanoma. I am very fair skinned and only once did I ever get a bad sunburn, but once was enough! I feel you Beverly! And that picture of Ella is absolutely stunning. What gorgeous flawless skin.
That sweet photograph brings tears to my eyes. So peaceful and trusting, so innocent. She goes straight to the middle of my heart. I know you are looking forward to your October visit.
The thing I don't like about my getting-older skin is that it seems so dry. And not exactly wrinkly but a little loose. That is too much information isn't it?!?!
What a sweet picture - seems I could reach out and touch her cheek.Take care of yourself (as you are doing).
I am a redhead too, though now its fading with splotches of white grey thrown in. The sun and i are not too friendly. Freckles and fair skin have always been my bane.
Sunscreen has become my daily lotion.
Ella is so precious. She looks so good. I pray her health continues to improve.
Sleeping beauty Ella....and, those eyelashes!!!!!
Such serenity on that beautiful face.
Hopefully she is feeling better these days now that the antibiotics are kicking in!
Good advice in your post today...
xoxo
Me too... bue-eyed redhead I mean. I've always had more than my fair share of freckles and I have suffered from sunburn a couple of times, but I seem to turn quite brown, not burn lobster red like most fair-skinned redheads. I spent my younger years in UK.... so strong sunny days were quite rare, climate change had altered all that!
Very important reminders in this post.
Ella's skin is gorgeous..
xo
I have had my fair share of sunburns over the years, but I seem to have escaped the dogcatcher. I have had 1 pre-cancerous lesion removed from each eyebrow, but that is all, except a little discoloration. A friend asked me this weekend what kind of makeup I had on, because my skin looked so nice. I told her I wasn't wearing make-up (never do) and I don't think she believed me...LOL
Re Ella: is there anything more precious than a sleeping baby!!??
She is so beautiful!
Hi Beverly,
Little Ella is precious ! All 3 of my kids were redheads and my hair and my wifes hair was dark brown . Fortunatly only the oldest one had a redhead's temper ?
I used to get teased about the milkman hanging around ! As they grew older all the traits started showing up so I can't deny them ? You can view them in my april archives !
Thanks for sharing little Ella with us and praying for her and a safe trip for you ?
Blessings.
Ron.
You are right: Ella's skin is flawless. Oh baby skin! So innocent and full of hope for the future!
Such an angel...the skin and those beautiful eyelashes resting upon it!
Just a little cherub!!
Sorry to hear of your skin woes. I'm fair skinned and burn easily, it did not bother me as bad when I was young but I absolutly cannot stand to get burned now. I do keep out of the sun if at all possible and keep the sun screen handy if I do have to be in it.
Have a great day!
:)
Well- you know I certainly relate to this post. I have another derm appointment next week and I'm going to discuss the cream and light treatments then. Good luck with your skin issues and kiss those petal soft cheeks every chance you get. (I know you do!)
There's nothing sweeter looking than a sleeping baby. Especially if they've fallen asleep after running you ragged all day.
To answer your question about pomogranates, I think the little ruby juicy things are just the seeds. Actually mostly seed with a tiny bit of flesh around it. It has that tang like cranberry juice.
Unfortunately, the sun is no longer our friend, but rather a deadly enemy!
Boy, am I behind! Sorry about that, and thanks for continuing to visit my site. We spent a few days in Maine, so from a couple of days before, and since we came home, I haven't had much time for blogging.
Now...the picture. I look at that and think of those perfect-looking peaches with the soft pink/coral skin. She's so beautiful!
I haven't yet had any skin cancers, which is a wonder. I'm fair-skinned, light-haired, hazel-eyed, and grew up in southern California. Teen-year summers found me on the beach as often as possible. Having a tan was a requirement; the "library look" got no respect at all. What freckles I have developed after some bad burns.
After I moved to Arizona, I continued trying to get some tan, when I could, but the sun is far more intense, here, so I couldn't take much. Way too late did I learn the truth of what California Teacher Guy says. And my skin does show the dryness and, yes, it's getting looser! That, I really don't like!
Post a Comment