Well, it was a good day for Penn State, but not a good day for Notre Dame or Michigan. I won't say any more.
This past week we found out that Anthony's leukemia cells have come back and are multiplying. He had just been cleared to go back to school. Prior to that he and his brother had blood work done at Cincinnati Children's Hospital, and the doctor called this past week and said that Anthony must return to the hospital after Labor Day. Apparently another bone marrow transplant is necessary. They still have some of the cells that they saved from the first one. I don't know exactly when this will take place.
The tumor in Sarah's cat continues to grow. The surgeon says it would not do to operate again. Treatments are prohibitive in cost, and there would be no guarantee, so...
I've never written about Leland before. His parents came to Haiti to work in 1972 soon after I left. Their son Leland was always sickly, and so they brought him to the States where he was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis. Seven years ago he had a double lung transplant, and since that time he has gone through rejection a couple of times. About a month ago, we got an e-mail that during a bronchial biopsy, it was discovered he was showing signs of rejection again. He traveled up to Duke for treatment. That is where he had his transplant. The doctor said that the medicine he would use was not usually used a third time, but that was the choice. He is now out of the hospital and getting ready to come back to Florida on the 15th. He sent an e-mail in which he speaks of his "lungevity." I'd like to share a bit of it with you.
"Just wanted to let you know what was going on, where I've been, & why the heck I'm not in South Florida at the moment. This info is straight from the rabbit's mouth. As a result of my bronchoscopy biopsy on 8/13/07, my lungs have shown signs of rejection & infection.
Therefore, I am in the DUKE University Hospital area being treated for both. Primary medications in this "treatment" are: IV rATG (rabbit antithymocyte globulin), IV Ganciclovir & Inhaled Tobi (Tobramycin). If I start craving carrots & hopping everywhere. it must've worked!Despite all that, I continue to FEEL GREAT! My lungs are functioning @ 99% & I have no fever or shortness of breath which are 2 critical signs concerning rejection/infection in Lung Transplantation. Praise GOD & thank Duke!
I'll try not to bore you (or myself) with the details unless you write back & want them.Bottom line. I'd appreciate your prayers for the following:
***That I will move to the MIDDLE of God's Good, Pleasing & Perfect Will.
***For the wisdom of my doctors & all those who are involved in my healthcare.
***The treatment/medication will do what it is SUPPOSED to do without damaging my organs or causing any harmful side affects.
***Any / ALL medications will be lowered &/or discontinued. ie. NO MORE Imuran!
***My PBC Youth for Christ Students, Staff & Fellow Youth Workers as they cover for me in my absence.
Relying on THE Great Physician & in the meantime, this JESUS Freak is STILL Kickin.
Please don't be offended if I don't hug you, shake your hand or do the hokey pokey with you. I need a few weeks of infection-free human interaction."
I've never met Leland, but I'd love too. I love his attitude and outlook.
3 comments:
Wow...your post certainly shows that you are dealing with some serious issues with people and a pet that you love right now. I am so sorry, Beverly.
...sending good and healing energy your way.
Take care,
xoxo
Grammie
And we think we have problems - - -
Leland sounds like a such a likible character and I hope he is soon able to get all the hugs he so richly deserves.
Sending prayers for all of them.
Post a Comment