During the past year or so, I've become a fan of CaliforniaTeacher Guy's blog. He takes great photos and then writes haiku which so aptly fits his picture. Last year he shared his experiences at the Jewel School in Dirty Little Desert Town. Because of cutbacks, his position was not filled this year, and he is on his way to northern California for a new experience. Another teacher, Bellezza, wrote of soon having to go back to her unair-conditioned classroom to get ready for the new year. She teaches third grade, and I am sure that the children who come to her class develop a love of reading if they did not already have that love.
Visiting their blogs brings back memories of my own experiences in the classroom. I started teaching in the fall of 1963...wow, forty-five years ago. To look at me you'd never think I'm that old...just kidding. I went to a small private school in Ohio where I taught a combination second/third grade classroom. The children were lovely, as well as the parents. Many of these parents were in their early thirties, and when I would say "yes ma'am" to them, they would look at me sort of funny. It wasn't their practice. I still say "yes ma'am."
While I was in Ohio, I got my master's degree from Miami University, and then I went to Haiti and taught children of missionaries for three and a half years. I arrived in January, so I finished that school year and continued for three more. There I taught a group of sixth through ninth graders. Now that they are in their fifties, those that I've seen frequently call me Bev, rather than Miss Wright.
Then I came back to Florida, met the gentleman whom I would soon marry and taught for twenty-six years in the same school until I took the early retirement package that was offered in 1999. Times surely changed from 1973 until 1999. When I first started teaching at my local school, air-conditioning was unheard of; we had no carpet anywhere. Copies of work papers for the children were done on the old duplicators that produced a purple product while the fumes from the fluid made you a little funny. If you've taught for any time, you know what I mean.
When we put up bulletin boards, we used stencils to trace the letters that we needed for captions. The day that we got the Ell*son press that would stamp out letters and shapes for us, we were ecstatic. We used to have to make all our visuals, and then when we began getting money to use in our classes, companies sprang up who made lovely visuals that we could buy instead of creating ourselves. Then the laminating machine was a favorite tool to use to preserve those products.
That last two days I've spent at my old school in the classroom of a friend, helping her get ready for the new year. We put up background paper for the bulletin boards; I used letters that had been stamped from the Ell*son press to put up the captions. While I did that she was working on her home page for the school website. Every child has a laptop computer for his personal use at school. There is air-conditioning and carpet, white boards instead of black boards...no more chalk dust.
I stopped and looked in my classroom that I was last in. A first-grade teacher is in there now, and I would love to see the children as they walk in Monday morning for the first day of school. Her walls were adorned with all the things that one would expect...color words, number words, alphabet, classroom duty chart, and on and on. I wanted to take some pictures, but because I didn't know her at all, I didn't ask.
There is something about the beginning of a new school year. You get to get a fresh start with a new group of children. People have asked me if I miss teaching. I miss my comrades, and I miss the children...some of them. I'm glad I was able to go and help and then come home and take a nap. More on another day.

15 comments:
I think you must feel about that the way that I feel about running my floral business. I've reached a point where I want to work for other people, and not have the day-to-day, full responsibilities anymore. I never thought I'd feel this way, but there comes a time.......LOL
Mom sometimes says she missis going back to school and first grade each fall... but she doesn't miss the colds and occasional severe bronchitis she almost always got in the winter.
Here the kids don't start until after Labor Day.. but in Mississippi, they started on Monday the 11th.
I enjoyed reading your classroom and teaching memories as I've been busily helping my daughter prepare her 4th grade classroom. She has a/c, white boards, TV, DVD player and computers too. It was such fun to see her joy and anticipation as she begins a new school year.
xo
I have great admiration for teachers. This is one profession that I know I could never be a part of. I loved reading how the classroom scene has changed over the years. A laptop on every desk.. wow.
How fortunate the children are to have so many helpful things. I feel like I went to school in the dark ages compared to them.
Bev, you have lived an interesting life and I'll bet the children loved you as their teacher.
Thank you for the peek into your life.
I have to agree with photowannabe...I think I went to school in the dark ages too. Here in Florida I had no a/c, no carpet, no frills yet I don't recall feeling like I missed out on anything.
Hi Beverly....long time ...no see!!!! LOl My daughter teaches the third grade and I can see the joy in her eyes as she prepares for the new year. I can also see the agony there at the END of the school year. The last few days just about wipe her out. I used to help her more than I do now being I have to stay here more with my husband. I would like to be a teacher. It has to be a very rewarding job. Come see me sometime!
Beverly--what a fun post to read. I didn't know you had so many years teaching "under your belt." Good for you on taking an early retirement.
Teaching (especially at the level you did) is exhausting. People who criticize teachers should try it--we know the outcome. They would all quit in a day or two.
For me, teaching has been the most rewarding thing I have done in my several careers.
Now that was a trip down memory lane!
Beverly, I just love this post, and I love you! I can see your spirit ine very sentence, and I can tell why you are an important blogging friend to me.
I, too, got my teaching degree from Ohio (Wittenberg University). I, too, taught out of county. Not a missionary as you, but with the Department of Defense Dependents Schools (1984-1986) while the wall was still up in West Germany.
I so clearly remember the purple ditto fluid (and syphoning it out of the can when the can was low). I remember tracing letters, and uncarpeted floors, and chalkboards. I remember filling in report cards by hand instead of everything being computerized. (NOT a help!) I remember having to check in the office at the end of the day to see if there were any phone messages; now we have a phone on our desks so we have to check that phone, our cell phones, or home phones...again, NOT a help!
I can see I'm getting rather long winded here, and should have probably written my own post, but you've brought back so many connections.
Bottom line: I'm so glad you taught. I'm so glad you're my friend. (Oh, and I love California Teacher Guy, too. :)
it sounds to me you go back in your memories just like me, you ought to write a book
hi bev!
flybyhugging
Thanks for the plug, Beverly. I appreciate your kindness!
I always wanted to be a school teacher. Wish I had. Yes, I agree, there is something so special about the new school year. I remember my school days very well and I loved the first days of school - in elementary school. High school sucked.
Glad you were able to help your friend prepare for this school year.
Just read all these posts about teaching and I can relate so well! I have mostly taught gr. 2/3 but did a few years in Gr. 6. Your experience is amazing...and I did actually use the "ditto" (Gestetener?) machine but not as far back as using the jelly pads! (We all had to smell the fresh copies and had purple fingers half the time!)
This is the 3rd Sept. I have not gone back to school and it still seems a little strange. All my friends are in there madly getting rooms ready and I'm meeting them for lunch today.
Thanks for your visits.
(I love your cousin's log cabin house! Post a picture of the whole building sometime.)
Post a Comment